Lunar New Year

Hello everyone

We are planning our trip in/around DaNang Jan ‘25. Is Jan 28/29th a busy crazy time like New Years Eve in states?

Thanks

Hello everyone We are planning our trip in/around DaNang Jan ‘25. Is Jan 28/29th a busy crazy time like New Years Eve in states?Thanks        -@paulepancakes

First, January will still be monsoon season here in Đà Nẵng, which is why you've likely seen cheaper hotels & flights during that time (colder & wetter & much more windy than normal with almost zero sunny skies).

The night of January 28th there will be a huge fireworks display at midnight (morning of January 29th) and any streets near the river will be mobbed.

If you take a Grab or taxi to go there and watch the show, you may have to walk back to your hotel afterwards, so if the fireworks display is a main draw for you, get a hotel on or very near the river and NOT on the beach.

Many businesses will have started to shut down or limit services during the week prior to Tết because staff are leaving to go home for the holiday days.

The city will remain essentially shut down for about 3 days with some services unavailable for up to two weeks.

In the week to ten days before Tết, getting transportation (train, bus, flight) OUT of Đà Nẵng will be especially problematic without a reservation and totally packed (so terminals & stations will be quite crowded).

Prices at fresh markets will increase and many produce & meat items will become unavailable.

On the day of Tết, January 29th, the city will be a virtual ghost town, with extremely limited availability of decent restaurant food.

Housekeeping at your hotel will likely be non-existent (they will give you a week's supply of towels before they switch to skeleton staff).

For me, it's a wonderful time to be here connected with my Vietnamese family and living outside the expat bubble where our neighborhood becomes quite festive during the week prior to Tết, and then tranquilly quiet after Tết as most of our neighbors have gone away for a week or more.

We travel also (2nd day of Tết; a full day round trip to my wife's home village).

It's a great time of year here FOR US, but I would NEVER recommend that a foreigner pick that time to visit Việt Nam, especially in this city.

Good luck with your plans.

OceanBeach92107

We are new to this website and have really enjoyed the forum. You by far are one of the most active and we appreciate your input.  Thank you very much for your comments and we are going to adjust our plans accordingly . When we are in DaNang we owe you a coffee!!!

Best Regards

OceanBeach92107
We are new to this website and have really enjoyed the forum. You by far are one of the most active and we appreciate your input.  Thank you very much for your comments and we are going to adjust our plans accordingly . When we are in DaNang we owe you a coffee!!!
Best Regards
        -@paulepancakes

I'll drink to that!

Dzô!