Expats registering with BIR Philippines

Has anyone on here registered with the BIR to save paying tax in the UK. I informed HMRC in the UK that I now live in the Philippines permanently and I assumed that I would no longer have to pay tax on the pension that I receive from the Universities Superannuation Scheme in the UK which is about £55 (tax) per month, but they said I have to be registered with the BIR in the Philippines and have sent me a Double Taxation Treaty Relief form (Form DT-Individual) to be filled in by both myself and BIR Philippines. I am told that in Philippines you only have to pay tax on money earned in the Philippines and that pensions are not taxed.

Can anyone with experience give me advice on this matter?

@FindlayMacD

what you say is correct

@FindlayMacD

If you are now living in the Philippines, you will pay taxes if you're into business or employed. Registration with BIR is applicable if you have Business, derived income from employment or other source that will let you register for income tax purposes.

I guess Its also when you have SRRV Visa

Special Resident Retirement Visa

you dont pay tax on your foreign pesion

can any one confirm ?

@frenschfred

I can confirm about SRRV. But, it is true for everybody and not a benefit of SRRV.

Only income derived from The Philippines is taxed in the Philippines. Also, a lot of bilateral tax treaties exist and define precisely who taxes what.

@FindlayMacD

Correct. You are only taxed on income earned within the Philippines. Income sourced in the Philippines.

The double taxation treaty is indeed established but check out the process to get back any tax paid here in the Philippines. It is all paper based and requires BIR form 0901. Form 1913. And a request letter

See BIR website. TAXATION OF NON RESIDENTS. AVAILMENT OF TREATY BENEFITS