VFS appointment - no luck. Any advice?

Hi all, writing here from Singapore. Looking to relocate later this year, so I'll be starting the process now.

Unfortunately, been checking for a week for D7 appointments, but only the D4 and D6 ones show appointments in early Feb. It's 22 Jan today.

I had no choice but to pick the D4  - anyone knows if they can process my documents for the D7?

A friend has also suggested I go down to the VFS and give that a try rather than wait and constantly refreshing for appointments. Any one had luck with this?

Some other advice I've read on other threads:

Email VFS directly - done this - waiting for response

Call them - this did not work

Call them while mentioning willingness to pay VIP costs, extra fees - will do this if the email reply isn't helpful

Thanks and I'd really appreciate any insight!

Hi @joemgan,

I suggest that you contact VFS about this problem of not finding the D7 appointments you want:

https://visa.vfsglobal.com/sgp/en/prt/contact-us

Regards

This problem isn't unique to your location.  My experience is from a couple years ago, but I bet they're booked out a couple months in San Francisco USA.  This is also a guess, but I bet it would be a bad idea to try to finesse it by signing up for the wrong visa interview.

Hi @Joemagan,

Have you tried the incognito mode.  That seems to be helpful for me.

I just looked at singapore and it gave the options

D1

D4

D6

Other D visa

If you're using a phone you need to scroll down to see the option “other D visa”

@JohnnyPT Thanks - here's their reply:I understand your situation regarding the booking portal that there is no slot for a D7 visa, but let me go and assist you.We would like to inform you that the appointment slots are made available by the Portugal Visa Applications Center in accordance with the processing capacity of the Embassy of Portugal in Singapore. Currently, the Embassy of Portugal is unable to receive additional requests.In the event of cancellations or no-shows, the Portugal Visa Applications Centre may notify those applicants who have expressed their intention to submit applications on a date prior to the one obtained through the appointment system so that they can use the open slot within the weekly quota established by the Embassy of Portugal in Singapore.Kindly note that we are not authorized to book an appointment on behalf of the applicant. It should be the applicant who needs to book an appointment on the booking portal. If you want the earliest available slot, kindly check it from time to time as some of the applicants reschedule or cancel their appointments so you can get their slot for your taking.And upon checking the booking portal for a long-stay D7 visa, there are still no slots that are currently available. And they only have a limited number of slots. The only available slots are on the website, which is the only way to secure an appointment.You can also try to check on our website the available slots for long stay, kindly visit this link: https://visa.vfsglobal.com/sgp/en/prt/b … ointmentIn addition to that, generally, the processing time for a long-stay D7 visa is 60 calendar days. We appreciate your patience and understanding in this regard.In line with your visa application, we have our optional Value-Added Services that will enhance your Visa Application Experience. Here are some optional services that you can avail of:Primetime-92 SGD. Our normal submission time is 8 am to 2 pm only, once you avail of our prime time service you can submit your application between 2.00 to 3.30 pm on the same day of your appointment. This service can only be bought at the Visa Application Centre.Courier Service- 18 SGD. Applicants can choose to have their processed visa application, documents, and passport couriered to their house or office by paying a nominal additional charge. Safe, fast, and convenient - we'll arrange the return of your documents and passports directly to you, at a time and location of your choosing. Save time and travel costs, with no need to arrange multiple visits to the Visa Application Centre.SMS Service- 3 SGD. Stay up to date on the progress of your application, with regular SMS updates. The SMS service keeps you in the loop at all times - sending an automated message to your mobile phone at key stages of the application process. This means no needless worry, no long periods of uncertainty, and no wondering about the status of your application. Photograph- 12 SGD. In line with your Visa Application, we have optional services that we call the Photograph Service. We want to ensure that your photos meet the required standards. Suppose you forgot to bring a photo of your own. In that case, our friendly staff is available to capture your picture during your visit to the Visa Application Center-ensuring that you have a photograph that meets the quality standards required for the visa application. It's quick, affordable, and easy - and our staff can handle everything for you.Photocopy-0.4 SGD. Submitting high-quality copies of your key documents is an essential part of the application process. If you bring all your documents with you, we can help to make sure you can take all the copies you need. The price is per photocopy.For further information about other Value-Added Services, kindly visit this link: https://visa.vfsglobal.com/sgp/en/prt/a … icesKindly note that availing of any Value-Added services does not guarantee the success of your visa application or affect the service standard.Please feel free to write back to us for further inquiries.Thank you.

@donn25 Thanks for this - you're right - but at least being able to enter and speak to someone would help get some clarity.

Same here. I am trying to book D7 appointment since 6 months ago in Singapore and had no luck so far. I tried 10 times a day at some point. VFS sent me the same automated reply when I complained about this as well.

I think Embassy in Singapire is not accepting D7  anymore. We should wait and see if this changes in the next couple of months.

The only embassy that seems to be still accepting is in U.S.

@Mydeliveries Other D visa (once selected) is always showing this: "We are sorry but no appointment slots are currently available. New slots open at regular intervals, please try again later"

@joemgan Hi, Any chance booking an appointment? I am still trying and getting this everyday: We are sorry but no appointment slots are currently available. New slots open at regular intervals, please try again later

As I vaguely remember, the new slots come out in batches, like every couple weeks or something.  So checking every day is a good idea, but there won't be anything until the day they come out.  Policy could change, could vary from one office to another, etc.  My experience was with US San Francisco.

@donn25 Hi Don, thanks for the insight. I have been checking daytime and mid night in the past 3 months. There is absolutely nothing. I have a feeling they closed it for D7 & D8 for now. After many emails back and forth with VFS Singapore, they told me they are instructed by Portugal Embassy in Singapore and they can't do anything to change this situation.

This happened in North America. I was told that the Consulate is aware of the problem. Select any long term National Visa and fill out the application and bring any supporting documents as instructed. Inform the VFS employee it was not possible to schedule your D-7 or D-8 visa appointment and this is the path forward. Make certain the Interviewer fills out your request correctly.

Do not fasten the papers together in any way. Bring 2 color passport pictures the background must be white.

I was able to arrive 15 minutes before opening time in Washington D.C. and received a walk in appointment. I ro not know if this is true in Singapore.

My appointment was on 6 November and I canceled a scheduled appointment for 3 weeks later.

There is the Facebook group 'Americans & friends in PT'.

They are incredibly well informed.

Read the documents in the FILES tab, first. Then if you have questions ask for help. Read their FILES first. This source of information has always been correct.

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the info. It is very helpful. I will give it a try here in Singapore. I hope it will work :)

Cheers!

@alexmotiongraphedifferent...

Read those files!

Good luck

Hey @alexmotiongrapher have you tried going to the VFS under anoter D visa appointment, as mentioned above? Did it work out?

@alexmotiongrapher Sharing my VFS experience here, in case it's helpful/informative.

I went to my D7 VFS appointment three days ago (Mon, 2/26) at the San Francisco location.  I had an appointment for 2:30p.  I got called to bring my paperwork to the counter at 5:30p!

What I learned (the hard way), was that, at least in SF on that day, my appointment time was irrelevant.  They were taking walk-ins and took people in the order of their token number.

This is the first time that I've ever applied for a visa, so I don't know if Monday's experience/timing is standard procedure, but knowing what I know now, if I couldn't find a time slot to book online and was geographically close enough to go to the VFS office early in the morning (maybe be the first person there), get your token, and wait it out, I'd say you'd have just a good a chance as someone with an appointment in being able to submit your paperwork/documents.  But just like another person said on this chain, be sure to have ALL of your documents ready to hand over, if/when you are called to the counter.

Of course, I have no idea if it's the same in your VFS location, but that's what I experienced here in SF. Sharing as information/statement of fact (not as a negative).  We are all trying to help each other (at least that's my intent).

Now, I will do the waiting game for approval and move forward as if my visa will be granted, so I'll be ready to make my next move as soon as I hear that I've been approved (thinking positively)!! 1f609.svg

Thank you for sharing.

Definitely it is not  what happens in London.

In London you will have to join an organised queue outside the building (bring an umbrella and wear a rain coat, as most likely it will be  raining 😉), and if you get to the front of the Q more than 15 minutes before your appointment time, (they  check your appointment day and time confirmation, which you  must bring with you)  , you are told to go back to the queue. I know that for sure,, because I, and a few others “ early birds”, were sent back to the Q.  Twice!

When you are allowed in, you are sent to a waiting room until it is your turn. A few minutes wait, then your number shows up on the screen, together with the number of the booth you should go to , for the interview. The appointment lasts about half an hour.

VFS is not ”a Portuguese” consulate or company, in fact they are a worldwide Visa service provider, that processes visas on behalf of  many different countries from the same premises , therefore they must be very strict and organised.

I don't believe if you just show up at the London VFS, without an appointment, you will be seen. I wouldn't recommend trying. Thats a very British way of doing things!

I don't believe if you just show up at the London VFS, without an appointment, you will be seen. I wouldn't recommend trying. Thats a very British way of doing things!

-@IBHwood

Since COVID a lot of countries it is appointment only so not just Britain.

@SimCityAT

I am sharing the experience and some advice which the intention is to help people. Not trying to start a competition to see which country is the best.

What I meant, is the British are well known for the their formal and organised ways, love for queues  and following rules, for centuries.

Anyway thanks for your information.

We went to SF, and our experience wasn't anything like this, in 2022.  Back when people in SF were well known for their formal and organized ways.

Just an update from my previous comment. VFS in Singapore has no appointment for D7 / D8 Visas. It is becoming almost a year since I tried to book an appointment. I hope the mess in new SEF will be cleared so they start accepting applicants from more countries like Singapore. 1f644.svg

Are they still accepting applicants for these Visas in UK and US?

I just applied for my D7 in Miami at the VFS office this week. Miami does NOT take walk-ins. Booking the appointment was a nightmare. In late February, while still waiting for my apostilled background check (already in week 8 of waiting) I started trying to book an appointment. First, I had difficulty creating my VFS account! I only had to provide email address, create a password, and check the "I am not a robot" box. When I did all this, I got the message that I had not completed one of the required fields!! Those were the ONLY required fields. I tried a couple more times before I succeeded in creating the account (I have no idea how). Then I succeeded in getting to the appointment page, but the calendar for May (first available time) was just gray. The next time I got that far, there was a statement that "green squares" indicated available dates and "black squares" were unavailable, but the calendar was still all gray! Seems the VFS IT people hadn't finished building the web page. When I next got into my account, the calendar was populated with green and black squares and I successfully booked an appt for May 6. Keep in mind, though, this process took about 5 days because it was often hours or a day later when I could again get into my account! If you try maybe 3 times to access your account, you are locked out for hours. During the process, whenever I contacted the VFS help line, I was told, again and again, to "try another browser." I work in a college IT dept and my IT pros told me the problems were all on the VFS end. The VFS document checklist was also not up to date. The Miami jurisdiction requires that you purchase a round-trip airline ticket for the appt, even though you cannot be sure when or even if you will get the visa, but a purchased airline ticket was NOT on the required docs list. Most of the times I tried to phone the VFS office it went straight to their menu options, none of which allows you to choose a human being to speak with! I found that the best times to access VFS online for appointments was the beginning of the month and at 3 am or 4 am. My actual appt went very smoothly. I was done in 30 min! The official was very pleasant. I had all the documentation required. But getting to that point was hell. But VFS is the ONLY option for document collection for visa purposes I believe throughout the USA! So you have to get through it. Looking back, I think I was lucky it only took me 5 days to create and account and book an appointment!!