Scottish people living in France

Hi,

My name is Murray Leith, I am an academic working at UWS (University of the West of Scotland).  I am currently working on issues of national identity and belonging (just published a book on national identity and politics in Scotland) and I am now looking at Scottish people living in France.  This is partially for personal reasons, as I have French cousins (okay 2nd cousins, but lets not quibble) and my twin brother lives just south of Pau too. The research is funded by an education trust here in Scotland.

I am looking for volunteers to conduct interviews with/send a questionnaire to about how they feel about being Scottish, living in France (this also includes 2nd generation French born folks who may feel Scottish).  Each interview would take about half an hour - or longer if folks are enjoying it.

I am going to be in France this month.  I will be in Strasbourg the 19th-21st August and in Paris 30th August - 4th Sept.  In between is fluid - depending upon possible volunteers getting back to me - I was looking at heading down (Dijon/Besancon area, Lyon area, Toulouse and so on) towards spending a couple of days with my brother and his wife.  I will have a car and can meet anyone wherever they choose and wherever I can make it.  If I cannot make it then I can send a questionnaire and/or call as well.

So, in short, if you would like to help this struggling academic with his research, and you are Scottish or of Scottish descent living in France then please do not hesitate to get in touch with me - I will happily send out individual emails with more info, or even call people if they wish.

You can google me (my students do) and see I am on the level and even find my work contact email/phone easily enough Murray at work.  I really have struggled to make contact with people outside of Paris/Strasbourg so anyone willing would be welcomed with open arms

all the best from a soggy Scotland

Murray

Hi Murray !

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Armand

Hi Murray -
Even though I don't fit your profile, I find this topic very interesting!  Will you provide updates and a link to your study here for us to follow?
good luck!
Julie

Hi - I am near Toulouse - have a look at montaubanglais fr

Ian

Hi folks, I have alreay had a few nibbles and one completed questionnaire - do not be shy, and feel free to message me if you would like.  I really do need to get as many people as possible.

Julie - I will keep you all updated, hope to find out interesting things indeed!

Excellent, and thanks!
Not to steer you away from these forums, but have you also tried the yahoo group French expat forums?
I'm sure there are at least a few on those who could contribute.
Julie

Hi,
I have only just joined this site, but I think I fill the bill.Originally from Glasgow and have now lived here for the last 22 years.If you still need help ,just let me know.

Paul

Hi,

I was born in England to English parents but I lived in Scotland from the age of 2 - Scotland is my home and I identify myself as Scottish (although not all Scottish people would necessarily agree!) I've been living in France for 4 years, currently in Bordeaux. If I fit your criteria I'd be happy to help.

Jasmine

Hi murray, nice to know you :D