Tipping for Services / Propina

What is the standard in DR for tipping on services (i.e. haircuts, massages, facials)? I know that tipping here is not like in the US, so was curious what is everyone's thoughts/experiences with tipping for these types of services.
Haircuts I pay 800-1000 and give additional 300
massage I pay 2000-2500 and give additional 500
Its normal to tip, amount depends on  where you are, how good the service was and how you feel!

Salon tip the  person washing your hair,  and the one who cuts / blows it dry.

Facial - tip directly the person doing it.

Massage - same thing

You did not ask but I will add -  tip the kid who bags your groceries and helps you load the car!  He gets no salary in almost ALL  grocery stores.
Thanks for adding that, so true.

Always 100 extra for groceries.

@planner I knew about the tipping of the groceries (& the parking lot attendants) because my husband is Dominican, he just does not know about massages and facials! :)  We asked a friend of his (Dominican) and she does NOT tip for her massages....she said the price is the price.  I was just curious what everyone else was experiencing. 

If it's the owner doing it, no tip is customary. If it's an employee then tip!
I tip the "gas jockeys" - the guy/gal filling your car with gas, especially if they clean the windows. Generally about 50 pesos.

Good thread. Tipping is still somewhat of a mystery here for us.
I always tip the supermarkets kids but did not know they do not get paid. Although one kid during holidays in Santo Domingo I gave a nice holiday tip at the supermarket who never saw before because not in the area but had the audacity to ask for more.

I do not think there is a right or wrong answer in regards to tipping based on your own means and how the service is.

I always tip at the restaurants but hate how they add the extra % on because it takes away from the waiter/waitress.
To my knowledge the only supermarket that pays the baggers is Bravo
@DRVisitor  What do you mean by "I always tip at the restaurants but hate how they add the extra % on because it takes away from the waiter/waitress?"

I ask because I was told the tip was already on the receipt by one person.  Then another told me tip is not included.  I look at the receipts and there are multiple fees:  ITBIS (that's a tax I believe), then another tax Impuesto, and sometimes an additional line, but I do not recall what the title is.  I know when I see Propina it is to add a tip.

Are you referring to another % that is added?
ITBIS is the 18% tax added. The next line is 10% tax meant to be a legal tip or propina.

DRVisitor is referring to the fact that often this mandatory tip  does not go to the employees.  Somehow it disappears! That is why many tip in addition to this.
For massages, I usually tip 300-500 pesos.

Manicures and pedicures I usually tip 200 pesos.

Waiters, I tip 200 pesos for every 1000 pesos I spend.

If a gas station attendant cleans my windows and doesn't try to rip me off, I tip 50 pesos.

Grocery store bag boys get 50-100 pesos depending on what I have available in my wallet (but I only every have 2-3 bags of groceries).
I know people in the service industry and they tell me all the time the owners or managers never give them the 10% add fees,
If you don't put it in there hand there'll never see it
ITBIS is the 18% tax added. The next line is 10% tax meant to be a legal tip or propina.

DRVisitor is referring to the fact that often this mandatory tip  does not go to the employees.  Somehow it disappears! That is why many tip in addition to this.
- @planner

Exactly with adding 28% it adds up on the bill mixed in with additional tip.
Both comments are correct. It is common for those legal tips to never reach the intended recipients!

And yes  28% adds up for sure.   Some bars and restaurants  add it on top of pricing, some build it in. Some  operate below the table and  dont pay the taxes at all.  Hard to compete, hard to compare pricing and hard to know what the  servers actually get.  And dont forget those legal tips are supposed to go to  the cook,  cleaners etc. Its not just servers and bartenders being ripped off!
The baggers at our two main grocery stores are employees - at least they wear uniforms/name tags for the store and they don't take your bags to the car. At Lindo, there are usually kids right outside waiting to help you take your groceries to the car. It's worth the tip just to have them return the cart since Dave always parks as far from the store as possible!

At restaurants, as long as the service was adequate, I usually tip 20% - so an extra 10% if it's already included in the check. 20% for haircuts as well.
I really appreciate how all of you are generous with your time and information. I continue to absorb so much helpful information. Thank you!  Hopefully I will eventually be able to contribute and help someone else too.
I am sure you will!
I was introduced to the necessary level of tipping by Dominicans. My expat friends ditto learnt from the locals.

100 pesos goes a long way and represents a significant percentage of the daily wage for manual employees.

Exceptional service does merit more but honestly how often do you get that?

The needy too deserve propinas. There are few guys on Sarasota at traffic lights - one outside Unidos, the other at Nunez - with one leg and they will always get my favour.

Expats tip far too much and as a consequence large tips are the expected norm. Reap what you sow.
Hey I know both of those individuals and I  do what I can to help them out as well.   I often buy products on the street and utilize the window washers when I need them.

I do not however buy  wiper blades from the streets ever. AND if I say no and they insist on cleaning my car window I get damn pissed off. 

Yes overtipping creates an expectation that others then  have to deal with.  I usually  match the  10% on the bill as my tip!
Nobody says you have to over tip … but is $100-200 pesos really going to bankrupt you
then maybe one should carry their own bags from the store in 100 degree heat ,I spend more on dog treats and I don't even have a dog ….🤔plus maybe it will keep this kid from trying to steal an old woman's pocket book  , yer know $100 pesos will buy 3. Sandwiches where I'm at ……..  a little karma might help down the road….tip
I think differently on this. Perhaps it is because I am from Europe where tipping is not the norm. Tipping is very much a North American habit and by worldwide standards their tipping is very high. Even in Latin America there are countries where tipping is not expected and can be considered insulting.

There is no respect granted for handing out excessively in DR. Rather the attitude gets entrenched that the better off are ripe for theft and poor service doesn't matter.

When in Rome do as the Romans is my advice. Ah but the workers on the North Coast and other destinations where expats go have been conditioned to good tips so the horse perhaps has bolted.

The delinquent does not work - never. He will sit back and wait for his chance and a wayward expat would be plum picking.

Yes I tip those working at supermarkets who don't get paid. 100 pesos maximum otherwise all Dominicans get hassled for more because of over generous expats.
Yeah... in Europe employees get a better paid salary, do not compare this with DR.

If you don't leave any extra for any job that is based on tipping in dr.... your a tacano I'm sorry.

Waiters don't see the 10% "service fee" in all the bills we pay, they usually get about 10-20% of that 10% so roughly 1 to 2% per bill - honestly this is a diagrace and the government should abolish this.

I usually give an extra 10% on top at restaurants.
No one is talking about NOT tipping or tipping poorly because they are cheap.

We  mentioned OVER tipping and the expectation it creates. Look tipping  10 or 20% at the end of a meal is fabulous. Handing the kid  100 RD for hauling your groceries to the car, great.   Tipping US 20 because you are trying to impress someone or save the world does more hard than good.  That tip is on a 1,000 PESO meal!   That is OVERTIPPING. It creates false expectations of what rich gringos and gringas should do.

So we are talking about moderation here. Tip when you can. Tip often.  Always be aware of what your tips can and cannot do.
Give what you can and only you know what you can give there is the expectation aspect also living in these types environments the damaged was done long before anyone of us got here Columbia Brazil no different foreigners are targeted and misprecieved as being rich according to their standards many of us chose to br here knowing this upfront but it's tough to tear the Great Wall and rebuild it great post but the damage is done have good family stay upbeat and resolve what you can control
Yeah... in Europe employees get a better paid salary, do not compare this with DR.

If you don't leave any extra for any job that is based on tipping in dr.... your a tacano I'm sorry.

Waiters don't see the 10% "service fee" in all the bills we pay, they usually get about 10-20% of that 10% so roughly 1 to 2% per bill - honestly this is a diagrace and the government should abolish this.

I usually give an extra 10% on top at restaurants.
- @jeanchris101
           Thanks , I learned a new word today. “Tacano “  🤣😂
         I  also ask server , the girl or young man on the side if I leave a tip do they get to keep it
            If they say no I'll hand them something on my way out
We accepted an Ikea delivery last evening. Their truck couldn't make it up our hill so they had to back down the crappy narrow road about 100 meters. They efficiently  packed everything to our 4Runner for the trip up the hill. No fun for them.....they were not pleased. In the end I gave them a healthy tip and they lit up with appreciation. I generally tip based on how hard the job is and the level of service I get, desperately trying not to over tip and make a fool of myself.   1f601.svg
Wow!  You did good.  That is service above and beyond for sure!