Cost of living in Portugal in 2022

Hi everyone,

Two years after the start of the pandemic, it is time to take stock of the evolution of the cost of living in Portugal or more specifically, in the region where you live. The idea is to help people get ready for their expatriation to Portugal to plan their day-to-day budget for some key expenses.

If you are a tenant, what is your monthly rent? Please give details of the type of property you are in.

How much are your monthly charges (water, electricity, common area maintenance charges, etc.) and additional expenses (mobile phone and/or internet box subscriptions)?

How much do you spend on commuting (by public transport or using your car) each month?

How much does your grocery shopping cost in Portugal?

How much do you spend on health care (health insurance, consultations, etc.)?

How much are your children's school fees, depending on the type of school they attend?

What about your budget for leisure activities?

Do not hesitate to indicate other everyday costs if they could be useful to others.

Thank you for your contribution :)

Cheryl
Expat.com team

waiting for a replay as I will go Portugal in September

I think that Numbeo.com is quite up to date and it is possible to configure what a household is spending money on, because the cost of living very much depend upon lifestyle and requirements.

Great questions,

For me and my husband both working from home daily:

How much are your monthly charges (water, electricity, common area maintenance charges, etc.) and additional expenses (mobile phone and/or internet box subscriptions)? 30€ internet, 70€ electricity, mobile 12€, 20/30€ water

How much do you spend on commuting (by public transport or using your car) each month? we don't use public transport that much but usually 10€ each

How much does your grocery shopping cost in Portugal? for us 250€/month

How much do you spend on health care (health insurance, consultations, etc.)? Used to have Medicare (AND I HATED IT) and it was 20€ for both of us, now I'm using public health care and private some times (40€ for a consult)

How much are your children's school fees, depending on the type of school they attend? do not have childrens

What about your budget for leisure activities? 100€/each to live well the weekend

We haven't moved yet, but can give some insight already. Children's school fees around EUR 12-16,000 per child for international schools and rent for a family of four can range from EUR 1,500 to EUR 3,000 and up for T3 homes in Cascais-Lisbon area. Algarve significantly cheaper, I believe.