Keeping US bank accounts from closing when in Spain

I heard many have had experiences with their US bank accounts being closed and/or being forced to liquidate their mutual funds and ETF holdings when the institution realizes that the holder no longer lives in the U.S.

I know some people just use the US address of a friend or relative. I don't have any of those.

I am wondering, first, does anyone have any good experiences with major US banks that don't care about living abroad and will let your CD, checkings, savings accounts stay open?

Second, any good experiences with brokerages that allow you to maintain your mutual funds or ETF's? I gather none can let you purchase, but what about hold.

I have called Schwab, Fidelity, and Interactive Brokers and every time I call I -- amazingly -- get a totally different answer. So I've concluded it's better just to ask what people's actual experiences have been.

Like @howardfishman1 I have a USA mail drop. I put Apt # rather than Box # and usually nobody complains that it's not a residential address. I also have a Skype number in the USA, so I have an American phone number to go with the address. My phone is in California and my address is in Texas, but, again, nobody seems to care. Skype is rather good as SMS messages (from security checking, for example) are received and displayed.

However, banks are the pickiest with the geographic issue, so even this might not work. But if you're an American and the account is already open, then I reckon most will be OK with the above solution.

This kind of solution should work for remote ordering (e.g. Amazon) with onward shipping, but I'd expect it to be OK for brokerage accounts, credit cards, banks, insurance policies... and perhaps even your credit report.

I've been doing this since 2001 when I was living in San Francisco. But apart from a couple of trips I've barely been back to the US in the last 20 years.

howardfishman1 wrote:

We opened an account at a virtual postal service- iPostal1. The bank accepted that. Schwab seems okay with that, as well.  I can't see other responses so not sure what others are saying.

Same here
GM

Thanks everyone, I had heard of iPostal1. Do they do a good job of scanning your mail to you, or do you not use them for that? I am hoping that since I have a US address now (and I'm not selling my house but renting it out) I can just keep it on the record and opt for paperless delivery. So in a sense I actually will have a real US address, just one that I'm currently away from.

Even and still, I'd like it if I knew at least one bank that flat-out doesn't care about my address. I ask BofA each time I've talked to them for other matters -- 3 times they said they didn't care where I lived, 1 time they said they did.

I sold my house and moved to Ténérife. I forwarded mail coming in to Ipostal which is my official address for banks and all official correspondence. I put Unit # instead of box and it works.
They notify you of incoming mail and give you options as to what you want done
They scan or shred or forward or hold for pickup as requested
I love it
Go to their website for plans
Good luck
George

We have a virtual mailbox - ACME Mailbox (I know....sounds like the Roadrunner cartoon! ) and it has worked great for both our Charles Schwab accounts and our bank (Horizon Bank in Northwest Indiana).  I just explained our situation to our bank, and they allow us to keep the account without it going dormant. And no problems with scanning the mail - it all works great. But, one thing I would advise, sign up with an organization that can help you stop your junk mail. The virtual mailbox gets expensive if you're getting junk mail. The one I used -- Catalog Choice - was great. I gave them a donation, as there is no sign up fee.