Need some inputs on relocating to Auckland

Hi Need help to decide on relocating to NZ.. I recently got a potential job discussion to relocate to Auckland..nothing has been finalized yet..but need some basic pointers to decide when the time comes. BTW I am from India

1) What is cost of living for a family of 3, husband, wife and a 3 year old kid
2) what is the cost of schooling
3) what is a decent salary for a 8 years exp IT guy in SAP technical field
4) what is the TAX
5) how is the weather in Auckland

Well, this is not exact, but I'll throw it out there anyway, since I am from Ohio and am living in Auckland.

5) Auckland is not as cold as Michigan. It does not snow and there is not a wind chill concern like a winter in MI. It is damp however, and most homes are not insulated. Both these make winter somewhat unenjoyable.

4) Tax on imports is high. And most everything is imported. At first, you will be calculating in your head the kiwi dollar to the states dollar and you might think that things are not so bad. If you are working here, you are making kiwi dollars and suddenly the cost of things may surprise you.

3) I have 8 years of teaching experience and I am being started at a base pay. Technology pays better than teaching, but you won't get what you were getting right away (if ever?). Living in New Zealand is not about the money, it's the life style.

2) I work in the public school system so I am not sure what the cost for schooling is. I'm assuming you are considering a private school? A child is eligible for public school at age 5, and it is mandatory at age 6. If you are wanting a preschool arrangement, you would have to pay for that and costs vary depending on what works best for you. Best to google research it. Maybe start here:http://www.nzkindergarten.org.nz/kindergartens/associations.html

1) Too many variables for me. Where do you want to live? What lifestyle do you want to uphold? Are you able to adapt to say, food differences? (meaning what foods you are used to may be pricing here, but if you can adapt and eat a diet of say, fish and chips, you might save more money)

Hope this helps a little. NZ is wonderful in many ways but monetary means is not always one of them (however, some folks make beyond decent money here too). If you want to feel safe, enjoy the outdoors, work "regular" hours, etc. NZ may be an excellent choice.

Hi Jyotijain

I hope your were/are in Auckland. I am in Bangalore and have an offer for Auckland. And guess i have same set of questions you have. I have a kid of age 3 and like to know about the schooling for her. how costly it is. Appreciate if you can provide details for

1) What is cost of living for a family of 3, husband, wife and a 3 year old kid. i am looking for a 2 bedroom flat near to city.
2) what is the cost of schooling?
3) what is a decent salary for a 10 years exp IT guy in technical field

@MilanMarvel- Concerning the accommodation, you can try to post an advert in the housing in Auckland section. It can help.

Thank you,
Aurélie