Medical Insurance Dominican Republic

How much can you expect to pay per month for the best possible medical insurance. I am 66 and my wife is 56..

Over 65 can be a challenge, but Planner can provide more information. Your wife would qualify for the Humano group plan that Planner offers for 3000 DOP/month (about $52). That plan includes dental and prescription coverage.

At age 66 there is only one plan available and it's not great and I don't use it.

I work with a group via Humano. The above is correct but there is a "better" plan that cost over double and has some additional coverage but in my opinion it's not worth the price.   It's about 7 000 Rd a month.

Other companies have similar policies.  You will need to look at what's important and why.

Also remember any pre existing conditions will need to be disclosed and will likely be excluded. 

If I can help further feel free to message me!

Hi Planner,
I am 70.  Can you send me some info re med insurance even if it isn't great.
I am in good health.
Thanks

Sorry honey I can't. I don't work with that company or plan.

If the become a citizen do you get government medical insurance?

No you do not.  You need to be working to get the government basic insurance.  I am not sure what retired Dominicans get!

what about 64 years old any insurance coverage

Yes  you can  easily apply for insurance at  64.  Its the same price as  the rest of my clients.  Not sure about all the other companies at this time!

Hello I am wondering would applying when I am 64, have  an advantage so far as obtaining insurance when I turn 65 2 months from now?

You can't get most insurance products at 65.  And many will not accept you this close to 65.  If you want insurance apply immediately and see if they accept you.

Mapfrebhd(Palic was bought out) no longer accept persons older than 65 and the maximum age for cover is 70. I see in the small print that is the same as Humano.

Is this now typical in DR with insurance cover here being to 70 only? Question for you planner as is next question.

I've heard of waivers but one wonders what takes precedent in event of a claim if the conditions state 70 is maximum?

Over 70s may need to get citizenship and so be eligible for the national medical cover which is not that good but the government plans to improve.

That is not correct Humano covers my group plan well past age 80.  I will confirm this again tomorrow!

I don't know about Mapfre as I only deal with them on vehicles and contents coverage.

What is changing soon ( delayed by Covid) is age banding of premiums.  This is a logical step as most companies age band in other countries.  As of now up to age 70 the premium is the same:  5 year old pays the same as a 69 year old.  Men pay same as women.  Smokers pay same as non smokers! Non drinkers pay the same as drinkers.  I can see all of this changing fairly soon!

At age 70 premium increases. At age 80 it increases again currently.

Would it be possible to get coverage for say 3 or 4 months that I am here per year?

You are best to buy travel insurance.  Most insurers here won't cover you for just 3 or 4 months.

Am I the only old gringo here that goes to local, free hospitals?

I have been in a public hospital once and I will not go there again for any kind of treatment. I have visited others there as well.   In every instance it was dirty, disorganized and I would not wish that  level of care on anyone!

[Post under review]

[Post under review]

Old information from 2019 and that problem was resolved.  It also involved a number of companies here

Please do not post links to other forums. Thanks.

News is news old or new unblock it please and provide info about your claim of remedy.

Just stop. This was remedied two years ago.  You seriously have an issue with me. I am doing what I am asked to do.

You didnt mention if they cured you.  They did me  and a buddy of mine. And you are a..... vested interest....since I think you send you're in the insurance business, right?    For the minor things that most people get, the native hospitals  fine.

So I do have a conflict sort of. I have a group medical program I make available to those who ask about it. I neither push it or actively promote it.  I recommend two insurance companies as good at what they do.   :D

This is not my main business, no where close to it. 

Was I cured? No.  I refused to stay there with what I saw. 

Does it work for some things?  Sure.

Is it the only option for thousands?  Sadly yes! 

Many die from lack of care.  They die from cross infections. They die from lack of resources.  This country, like many other developing nations, needs better public health care.

Any working Dominicans who are legal employees have the government basic medical coverage.

Unemployed or not legally employed have nothing if they don't purchase private insurance.  Most can't afford it.

24 year old unemployed can get insurance privately but it won't cover her pregnancy this time or the child until a specific amount of time. 

No idea what care costs but recently I was told a cesarean birth was 40,000 Rd with no complications. That's about US 660.

And from what I understand, something like 90% of births here are by Caesarean section. All for the doctors convenience with no regard for the damage done to the mother's body.

The incidence of cesarean is way way higher than normal here.  Part of that is the doctor but the other part is woman not wanting to go through the pain of natural childbirth apparently.  This is second hand info so take it for what it's worth.

I know jimana you can get 3 months at a time I usually do two three months then I take one three month off when I go back home and then when I come back I just pay the next 3 months. It saves me 3 months in payments but I can't complain about them the Humana royal works great with dental and day-to-day medical needs. Some situations I have to pay 10% which isn't that bad. To get a cavity fixed full scan of my teeth and two X-Rays only cost me 600 pesos. For a doctor wise I think I went to a doctor to get my back checked and it cost a total of 350 pesos for all the tests and everything so I'm very happy with insurance here and I like the fact that I don't have to pay I can put it on away when I'm back in the US visiting family

Omedgt, baby delivery free in local hospitals. All those 15 year olds who have babies dont pay.

Hi! Could
You send me
The info please for me 46yo and my son 6 yo
Thanks in advance

Could you send me information on medical coverage in the DR? I am a 100% service connected veteran but I understand in the DR I can only be treated for my service connected conditions. Thank you in advance!

Happy to send you info.  Your veterans coverage has absolutely no value to the insurance companies here though.

safetywing.com/nomad-insurance
Check out this company and see if they meet your needs.

@scottcodystrong

you can get health insuirance from us in the DOminican Republic. A good plan is abut US$ 70 a month each

@rmthenseguros  hello could I have the. Ame of the company ? Please and thank you

rich

@planner The same physicians that work in the private clinics work in the public hospitals

Welcome thank the forums.  I do not believe that is accurate.

Don't go with very expensive insurance in the DR. I always buy for 450usd a year Sanasa Larimar and it covers me for most of the things I need. Do your research! Insurance and medical coverage in the DR is way better and cheaper than the US! 😀

Yes medical insurance here is  much less expensive than in the USA.  However, look at the policy options and buy what works best for YOU!

@planner

Ditto!