Work/career/jobs resources

Hi there

Does anyone have any links for expat engineering jobs in CR (preferably in hydro or renewable energy projects)? Thx

Bill
Nelson, BC, Canada

You cannot legally work in CR until you have Permanent residency which will take 4-5 years, or have a work visa, which is difficult to obtain as the citizens and permanent residents must  be hired first.

To be hired by the government you would be required to be bilingual, I.E. Spanish and English.

I know Nelson well...

BILLCLARK......
Forget it ! We have our own highly educated work force.Where is this belief coming from,that outsiders can just come into the Republic and push Costarricenses to the back of the line for a job ? We already have most of CANA-PUTAS down here scrambling,trying to do what you want to do.

Bill
        Both members are correct in the advise, you can try working as a consultant engineer here if you can find someone who is looking for a foreign consultant
Keep in mind salaries here are like 5 times lower than what you are use to in Canada or the States

I get retained by a few CR firms to assist with project management or general supervision to help push projects along
I was a partner in a New York City concrete firm so I found a niche with mid concrete projects happening in the San Jose area

Your best bet is to research with a CR lawyer on opening your own SA here (which is a LLC) and try a sell your self as a consultant
From my knowledge the few hydro electric companies here are headquartered out of Panama
Also keep in mind the unemployment rate here is very high and jobs are limited

This is just my experiences so far

Bill
      Edwin is also correct this is a very educated county and they do have a talented base of professionals and workers here
The Ticos definitely get offended if a local
Job goes to and outsider because it's a country where workers struggle to just get by
Like I said they are paid low wages for jobs where they work hard and put in some major hours along with long commutes by public transportation