Arriving in Vietnam Lessons Learned

I arrived in HCMC on 4/22. Some things I learned processing through immigration.
1. I flew from USA via Singapore Airlines. No issues transiting through Singapore to Vietnam
2. After deplaning the first step is getting through transit clearance with a Health certificate. I didn't have one. There is an app from Ministry of Health that has to be completed. A bit complex if first time completing it. Need hotel information, addresses, provinces, and some questions I could not answer. There was an official there who assisted me (and about 15 others who also did not have it).  When completed I showed it to the official with my COVID RT-PCR document. Got stamped and moved to immigration.
3. Waited in line only to discover I'm in the wrong line. If you need a Visa on Arrival. Go directly to the Visa issuing area - not the immigration check.
4. To get the visa, I had to completed an application. And provide a photo. I had issues because I didn't have the address and company information of my sponsor. Several people were also filling out the application there. However, I spoke to a couple of people who had completed forms with photo attached (even typed written). Here lies the difference in sponsors. Who also told me he didn't know I needed a photo. Hah! I always carry extras when traveling.
5. Finally got that done with the help of visa official and paid $25 US and was issues a visa.
6. Then processed to the immigration checkpoint, process through with the additional sponsor documents and got my luggage.
7. I was met by my driver, changed into my PPE. I was the only one on a 30 passenger bus, and now in my small hotel room.
My point here is to ensure you have everything completed before entering. My agent told me it's very easy - just follow the immigration personnel. That's a JOKE.
Hopefully this was helpful.

devarj57 wrote:

I arrived in HCMC on 4/22. Some things I learned processing through immigration.
1. I flew from USA via Singapore Airlines. No issues transiting through Singapore to Vietnam
2. After deplaning the first step is getting through transit clearance with a Health certificate. I didn't have one. There is an app from Ministry of Health that has to be completed. A bit complex if first time completing it. Need hotel information, addresses, provinces, and some questions I could not answer. There was an official there who assisted me (and about 15 others who also did not have it).  When completed I showed it to the official with my COVID RT-PCR document. Got stamped and moved to immigration.
3. Waited in line only to discover I'm in the wrong line. If you need a Visa on Arrival. Go directly to the Visa issuing area - not the immigration check.
4. To get the visa, I had to completed an application. And provide a photo. I had issues because I didn't have the address and company information of my sponsor. Several people were also filling out the application there. However, I spoke to a couple of people who had completed forms with photo attached (even typed written). Here lies the difference in sponsors. Who also told me he didn't know I needed a photo. Hah! I always carry extras when traveling.
5. Finally got that done with the help of visa official and paid $25 US and was issues a visa.
6. Then processed to the immigration checkpoint, process through with the additional sponsor documents and got my luggage.
7. I was met by my driver, changed into my PPE. I was the only one on a 30 passenger bus, and now in my small hotel room.
My point here is to ensure you have everything completed before entering. My agent told me it's very easy - just follow the immigration personnel. That's a JOKE.

Welcome to Vietnam. Good to hear you finally made it

..My agent told me it's very easy - just follow the immigration personnel...

This agent sounds pretty useless. He should have told you about the process in advance. At least the photo requirement. In his/her defence, I have sometimes seen immigration officials direct new arrivals to the counter where you fill a long winded form, pay the 25 usd single entry stamping fee, attach photo, hand everything (including passport) to an officer, wait in seating area, sometimes wait a bit more, then hear your name being called on a tannoy, you walk up to counter to pick up passport, check passport (both ID page and freshly attached visa) firstly to see if it's your passport (you never know... mistakes happen), secondly to check if the dates on the visa are correct (if incorrect we must tell officer immediately).

Then only do you get the right of passage to wait in the 'big boys' queue where an immigration officer checks your freshly attached visa, sometimes ask you a question or two, place a couple of stamps on your passport (I always tell them to use the earliest pages on my passport - I've had some officers randomly pick a page towards the end of passport and stick the stamps there without any care for the next man or woman checking this passport), then hand your passport back.

The forms can be overwhelming. The tourist visa form even wants to know my religion. I've used a few agents, and found that the good ones tend to give you the form in advance (probably difficult in your case as they would probably need to post it - not sure if emailed and printed form is accepted at counter), and also impart with the crucial info. E.g. stamping fee (so you don't pay any more than you need to. I.e stamping fee + 10 usd tea money), photo requirement etc. With tourist visa the sponser details are on the invitation letter. It's not always the same as the agent's name and address.

if you are here for a while download the app called Zalo. Nearly every Vietnamese person has it on their phone, and you can use it to complete health declaration when entering public places (e.g hospitals). There will be a desk at front with a huge QR code, use zalo app to scan this and it will take you to the health declaration, where you complete the form asking have you travelled to Covid-19 affected areas, are you displaying any symptoms of cough, fever etc .you only need to complete the info once. The next time you use the qr code scanner through Zalo, all your details will come up including health declaration answers. Check the answers, then submit. A security guard will take temperature, someplaces will attach a sticker on your clothes to say you've been checkd, then tell you you're good to go (in).

Some (most?) Public places like supermarkets still check every customer at entrance to ensure they are wearing a mask, and take temperature reading.

The above info probably won't apply to you now as you're in quarantine, but I feel the 14 days quarantine will fly by.

As per other/s ... welcome.

Other post right about using Zalo and/or FB (which personally i don't as I hate FB, and the guy, but Viet use a lot like everywhere else), and everyone in VN use Zalo, not Skype, Viber, or anything. it has both PC and mb version.

and it is always interesting to know why you are here, and what your plans are? Maybe you can try to add to Profile?

devarj57 wrote:

Unfortunately, unless you cleared your quarantine early, it looks like there's another lesson to be learned:

news.chinhphu.vn/Home/Viet-Nam-extends-length-of-mandatory-quarantine-due-to-longer-incubation-period/20215/43659.vgp

The length of a quarantine period is being extended, but the exact time limit isn't known yet.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
devarj57 wrote:

Unfortunately, unless you cleared your quarantine early, it looks like there's another lesson to be learned:

news.chinhphu.vn/Home/Viet-Nam-extends-length-of-mandatory-quarantine-due-to-longer-incubation-period/20215/43659.vgp

The length of a quarantine period is being extended, but the exact time limit isn't known yet.

The time limit for "concentrated quarantine" has now officially been extended from 14 days to 21 days:

expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=888733&p=6#5110542

Hi Devar... I think i am in the same flight as yours (LAX - SIN - SGN)...   Left on Tuesday (LAX time) at 1130pm.  Yes, currently staying an extra week in the hotel!!! 

Same experience.  Stayed in the wrong line, and had to move to get the VISA first.  My bus driver also had the whole area in plastic surrounding him, and turned on the heater in the back (assuming that he wanted to kill the virus with heat).  I was in bunny suit from head to toe, and masks, and heater in Vietnam's weather!  I think i lost 2 kgs from the bus ride from the SGN to district 1 hotel!

Yes. I was on that flight. Where are you staying in HCMC? I'll try to message you on private chat.

devarj57 wrote:

...My point here is to ensure you have everything completed before entering. My agent told me it's very easy - just follow the immigration personnel. That's a JOKE.

Was this the same agent who got you certified as an expert?

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 43#5117842

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
devarj57 wrote:

...My point here is to ensure you have everything completed before entering. My agent told me it's very easy - just follow the immigration personnel. That's a JOKE.

Was this the same agent who got you certified as an expert?

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 43#5117842

You must have forgot, the Colonel has left the building.

colinoscapee wrote:

He's still lurking about; he was reading the forum just 45 minutes ago.

Ciambella wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

He's still lurking about; he was reading the forum just 45 minutes ago.

Maybe my asking for the name of his hotel threw a spanner into his online deceptions.

Happy for him to prove me wrong, but so far, that hasn't happened.

Be careful using agents to get you into Viet Nam with those expensive expert/ investor visas.

Expert visas

Hi everyone,

Kindly note that a few posts have been removed from this thread.

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com Team

First we had ...

colinoscapee wrote:

Then we now have this post from Priscilla ... ?

Proof that Elvis is alive !!!!

Great advice. Thank you. I am hoping to move this summer. Lots of obstacles in the way.

I have secured a job who are helping me with the process. They are are currently helping me get my work permit. Instead of having my health check in Vietnam, they have asked me to get this in the UK but have not given me a great deal of guidance on what this health check should include.

From an example form them have sent me, this should include...

Medical examination (basic physical examination including BMI)
Urine test (to test for any health conditions)
Blood test: Blood count, hepatitis B & C, HIV, Syphilis
Chest X-ray: normal/abnormal
ECG: Abnormal/normal

Is this correct, or does anything else need to be tested for?
Also, will they translate this form to Vietnamese once I arrive?

Not sure how this all works! Very stressful!