Banking and finance jobs

Hello everyone,

My apologies in advance. I know the topic of finding work in Dubai must come up a lot on the forums here but with the way things are these days things can change quickly.

I am contemplating coming out to Dubai for three to six months in late November/early December. I understand the job market is incredibly difficult anywhere in most fields so I will be coming out with realistic expectations and working on a few personal projects while I'm there to keep me occupied/distracted.

My career has been spent working for various investment banks in London with my most recent experience sitting within change and transformation. I have a solid mix of both technical and functional skill sets that have come from delivering different projects.

I understand that having the right contacts, especially during times like this, can make all the difference however I don't know anyone that is currently residing in Dubai there. I am going to need to make an effort to get to meet some new people, which may also be more difficult at the moment.

In a normal year do things usually pick up in January? Will not having any UAE experience be a big impediment? I imagine recruitment agents especially at the moment, aren't particularly responsive as well?

Any advice on what is happening in the Dubai market within banking and finance or any ideas on how to make the job search there a success at the moment would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help.

Hi

the job market is tough here these days. There are lots of banks that are consolidating their businesses and layoffs are very much there. Therefore there is too much supply against the demand. Banks are retaining the best ones. Having said that there are some jobs coming up here and there. But you need to be very good at it.

I would prefer you to contact the big recruitment firms, like Robert Half, Charterhouse, Micheal Page. these are the big executive companies for recruitment of talent like yourself.

Contact me when you are here and will try to connect you to some banking personal.

Best of luck.

Kamal

Moderated by Cheryl 3 years ago
Reason : For security reasons, contact details should not be posted on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

In terms of timings, pretty much the worst time is between Dec/Jan.  Things start winding down towards end of Nov for recruitment firms and mandates and then start picking up Feb onward.

The banking industry was already going through a tough time when the pandemic hit.  And after that mass layoffs, salary cuts and so on started happening.   So right now, it is quite tough.  Obviously having UAE experience is preferred over none. 

There are jobs out there and the best approach is through networking.  Recruitment agencies are an option but the more senior you get, the less likely that those roles are advertised or handed over to standard recruitment agencies.  The agencies mentioned by the previous poster are standard and cater up to the mid-senior level.  I have worked with all of them on employer side for positions in my team and I keep chatting off and on with them.  Right now, they are also struggling as a lot of companies want to avoid paying recruitment fees and instead are relying on in house searches or through networks.

For the really senior roles (usually 70-80K AED per month and above), you are looking at retained search agencies e.g. spencer stuart, Egon Zehnder, Heidrick Struggles, Korn ferry etc - and these guys are proper headhunters i.e. they find you; you generally don't engage with them out of the blue like you can with the other ones above.  Because, the other guys get paid when they place someone so it is in their interest to have marketable candidates whereas the retained search agencies are on a "Retainer" with the client i.e. they get paid regardless.

I would start connecting with people on linkedin and trying to do cold calls with agencies to start building some relationships.   Mentally accept that it can take 3-6 months to find an ideal job depending on your luck.

That's very helpful. Thank you.

I may postpone my arrival until the new year then as most city's job markets tend to quiet down in the lead up to Christmas. The gap on my CV however is already so large that an extra couple of months won't make too much of a difference. While not ideal I expect recruiters are now used to seeing candidates with large gaps in their experience.

They may be used to it but it doesn't mean that there isn't a preference for candidates without gaps.  Keep in mind that nowadays there is more supply vs. demand in Dubai and that is not likely to change for a few years.  So employers and recruiters can afford to pick and choose unfortunately.