Off to California

And I am going back to California soon. What stuff shall I bring back that will not let me get into trouble with the customs ?

My last trip, I brought orchids and unfortunately the orchids stayed at the airport :(

No fruits, no grains, no vegitables basically nothing that comes out of the ground unless it is cooked and compltetely packaged (store bought) Wear all jewelry bought there or you might pay taxes on it, same goes with items that might be resold. (I brought some persian carpets from Iraq and they wanted me to pay customs duties. lol)

You prob don't smoke but if you have friends who do, can bring in 2 carton I think.  It's a small fortune in Cali. It's prob the only thing cheaper in the phils than in the us.

Yes I dont smoke.

I think I might bring some dried squid, dried anchovies, lots of pickled veggies...those are pretty expensive in the US. The tasty preserved food  are actually sold in Davao.

wow, I just responded to your last two posts, only to find out you are leaving soon? are you keeping that condo with all the furnitures you bought?

hope to see you soon girl!

pinaymentor

I am keeping my condo for now but I'll be renting it out when Im not around.

Unless its prepackaged in a good container, would not bring it over. California has the strictest import of food stuffs and the beagles in customs may get excited if they smell the dried fishies. Worse case is that you have to dispose of it.  I just dont know how they react if you dont declare it and then they find it.

female_expat wrote:

Yes I dont smoke.

I think I might bring some dried squid, dried anchovies, lots of pickled veggies...those are pretty expensive in the US. The tasty preserved food  are actually sold in Davao.

female_expat wrote:

I think it's okay.  If you're not getting the prepackaged ones, try to pack them airtight.  The odor of dried sea food is offensive to some people.  Check first before you pack them if they're still good.

I devoted my last 3 days in the Philippines by going north, volunteering my hours for the better treatment of dogs.

And I took lots of pictures, hoping that I could send it to the Humane Society in the US or could organize more US volunteers to come to this country.