Hello

Hi there,  I'll be moving out to Riyadh (Salwa Garden Village) in the next couple of months and am looking for some info on what life's like out there.
I've done a bit of research and managed to get an overnight visit when I went for my interview, so have seen the place and know roughly where it is in relation to the airport and city etc...
However, didn't get much of a chance to speak to many residents.  Anyone on here live there and can give me some info on things like social life, facilities, services like internet access and phones to UK etc?

I'm a keen diver too (BSAC and PADI qualified to instructor) so any info on diving clubs locally would be great too!!

Sorry for the long list of questions!!!

John

Hi John!

Welcome on board!

Armand

Hi Flipper0465,

Guess you will be working for BAE then?
I go there about once a month to see my friends and from what I can see it has a large recreation facilty with squash, covered swimming pool and gym. There is a supermarket a hairdressers a coffee shop and two restaurants (maybe more?)and a tenpin bowling alley.
I have heard my friends say that it is a long way out of town for shopping etc.. but if you have a car that won't be a problem.
The other thing that has been said is that it is not a great situation to be working and living in the same place, but as you get into the swing of life here you will hopefully make friends off site.
Diving is mostly done in Jeddah or there are organised trips to the islands in the south of Saudi. Once you find your feet I hope that you will give some lessons here, you can sign me up. There is a dive shop, I think it is on Olaya, that would probably have info on local clubs.

Skype is the way to go for calling home and I would imagine that a huge facility like Salwa would have great internet access.

Hope this has helped somewhat,I am sure you will have replies from people who live there too.

Good Luck.

hey John
i dont live in Riyadh so i cant help much
i only go there on the weekends
but ppl there r very nice and i am sure u will find all the help that u want :D
anyways i hope u have a great time in Riyadh

Thanks for the replies :)

I'm quite used to living and working in the same place, have done it all of my life, so shouldn't be a big issue I hope!!

I'll be more than happy to run diving lessons once I get myself straight out there and find a club to join, I hear that there's a BSAC one around Riyadh somewhere, so will find that in my 1st few weeks.

hey John,

I am scuba diver too and have just arrived in Riyadh to start on a new job. Apparently there is a diving group here and the lady in charge organises diving trips off the coast of Jeddah every now and then. I can pass your email add to her so that she can include you in the mailing list. Let me know.

Danial