Reading habits in Mexico

Hello everyone,

Books can be your greatest companions whether you have already settled in Mexico or are now planning your move. Are you an avid or occasional reader? We would like to know more about your reading habits.

What type of reading do you enjoy? Do you read novels, comics, magazines, newspapers, etc.?

Where do you purchase or borrow books in Mexico (bookstores, online, library subscription, etc.)? Do you prefer digital reading?

Do you have an average budget devoted to reading in Mexico? Do you buy books or pay a library membership fee?  Do you spend more or less than in your country of origin?

In what languages can you find the books that you usually read?

What books or magazines would generally be found on your bedside table?

Thanks for participating,

Bhavna

So what you would see next to my bed would be a kindle with books mostly in English but a few in Spanish.
on occasion, I buy a newspaper. My reading interest is wide-ranged. Education science, misteries, health and just fun.

I have a NOOK reader with many, many books. I purchase mostly from Barnes and Noble's $1.99/$2.99 Bookbub offers. I occasionally purchase books at full price, and I have a few books in Spanish, although reading Spanish is rather slow. I read mostly at night. Like travellight, my interests are varied.

We settled in a town where the marinas, drydocks, hurricane holes and anchorages made a welcome place for US sailors to visit. So we're fortunate to have a number of places where English books can be swapped...drop off the ones already read for new ones. Best of all is an exchange library, maybe the best-organized one we've seen along the coast of Mexico, well-tended by volunteers though only open once day a week for a couple of hours. I've been doing a lot of reading, maybe more than in decades now that I'm semi-retired. I only wish we could help establish such a library for the Mexicans in our community, or expand the one we have to be bilingual.

I am, and have always been, a voracious reader. There are some expats here in Puerto Penasco, Sonora that do a monthly newspaper and they have a good sized book selection to borrow from. I have really extended my reading subjects through that by reading some books I would never purchase for myself (i.e. biographies of Barbara Bush and Barbara Walters). I also read the local newspaper in Spanish and anything else I can get my eyes on!

I just purchased a 128 GB flash drive that works in both USB and iphone plugs. I will download ebooks and journal articles to the flash drive and read on my iphone or iPad. I think it will be a compact way to carry reading material with me while traveling.
I usually bring just one hardbound book with me because I like the feel of a real live book in my hands. I usually read just about anything non-fiction.
I spent two months in Oaxaca City this past summer and they have a FANTASTIC lending library. They host community events, intercambios, exercise classes, etc. Many ex-pat volunteers work there and can answer any question about the city and ex-pat living in Oaxaca. They have both English and Spanish language books. There is a small cafe and terraza. There are lockers to stash your gear if you're out for the day. I paid for a year membership and really enjoyed all they had to offer. Can't recommend it strongly enough.

Hello.  I was in Oaxaca City last Feb for a week and loved it.   This year, I plan to base in PuertoVallarta for 5 months and visit other areas , hopefully with someone of like-mind.  Can you tell me how you download your books?  What source do you use?  I will have my IPad.   Or, do you think it's best to just get a Kindle?

Hi, arleneruby! I just bought it and haven´t used it yet. I bought it on the recommendation of a YouTuber I follow who I consider reliable. I will post here how it goes once I set it up. Happy travels!