USA to England, how!?

Hello,

So I am looking to move to England. I met the love of my life in England, and am ready to move! We are not yet engaged but do plan on it, so we are trying to decide what is the best way for me to come over. We chose me to move because of his career and uni. So I will be giving up my career for a period of time. I have my Bachelor's in Accounting, but assuming I am unable to work until we are married at the very least. Does anyone have any tips on how I can make money not being married yet? I have looked into getting a work visa but seems to be a lengthy and tough process. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thank you!

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Not easy, but doable; you could be forgiven that the UK is being particularly nasty to US citizens, but they are equally as nasty to everyone else, so don't take it personally.

Once you are in the country and have a residence permit then you can work (the 2 are directly linked, you can't enter the UK to live unless you have a residence permit), if you are here, then there are no restrictions because you are not married.

In fact, accountancy skills are always in demand; if you have Chartered status, there are companies that will bite their hand off to recruit you and you could even qualify for a skilled migrant visa in your own right; this link will take you to a section of the Forum that describes these; so that is something to consider.

The other method you can use is to apply for a family visa; the UK Gov website has the details about this; this link will take you there.

My advice is to check out the links I've given; also consider whether you should go back to college first and get Chartered status (if you don't already have it).  If you have any further specific questions, then please come back to us.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hello,thanks for your reply!
Wouldn't I have to have some sort of Visa to be able to have a residence permit though? We have read a ton too, and had read that I could do a visitor, then apply for a fiance Visa. But I wouldn't be able to apply for a residence permit with the visitor Visa right?

Thank you so much!

Hi again.

You can't work at all on a visitor visa and neither can you apply for a work visa while in the UK on that visa.  You are correct that if you enter the country on a marriage visa, then you also can't work; hence my recommending you consider the highly skilled migrant route because you can work; if you should happen to get married in that time, then doesn't mean you can't work any more; it means you have to apply for a different kind of visa.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi

I'm American and have lived in the UK for 20+ years. From what I read about visas, you cannot do paid or unpaid work under anything but a work visa, unless you have ILR (indefinite leave to remain) as I do. So for making money under a normal visa, its a no-go. I'm not suggesting you or anyone else break the law, but the only types of paid work (cash-in-hand) given that scenario, I suspect you won't want to do. There is of course buying and selling from ebay, amazon market place and FB market place, given you'll have lots of free time on your hands. I'm not sure that qualifies as paid work however. Good luck!

https://www.gov.uk/apply-to-come-to-the-uk

Jessicaafawn wrote:

Hello,

So I am looking to move to England. I met the love of my life in England, and am ready to move! We are not yet engaged but do plan on it, so we are trying to decide what is the best way for me to come over. We chose me to move because of his career and uni. So I will be giving up my career for a period of time. I have my Bachelor's in Accounting, but assuming I am unable to work until we are married at the very least. Does anyone have any tips on how I can make money not being married yet? I have looked into getting a work visa but seems to be a lengthy and tough process. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thank you!

After looking into visas and all, my boyfriend has decided to support me when I move over. We were thinking stay on a visitor visa or something, and if we get engaged, change to a fiance visa and eventually marriage visa. Is that possible?

In 20 years since codemonkey moved over from the States, a lot has changed and even more so with Brexit looming.

Cynic, is the guru regarding visas and sponsors. So I don't want to add anything to make you worry. But can I ask if your partner has a well-paid job?

SimCityAT
Expat Team

Yes, he is in the Royal Navy!

Hi and welcome back to the Forum.

There are no special arrangements for the spouse of servicemen.

My advice would be to apply for the family visa; should you apply for a visitor or marriage visa, you will have to leave at the end and start the process over again.  The detils of how to apply for the visa are decribed on the UK Gov website; this link will take you there.  None of the options are simple, it's why I advised you to consider the skilled migrant option when you first asked the question, that is certainly the quickest.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thank you again!  I have read that too, but I don't see any way that I would qualify for a family visa.

Hi again.

I'm assuming you mean the requirement for a 2-year relationship?  You could get around that by getting married.

Alternatively, you could spend the 2 years improving your qualifications and qualify in your own right as a skilled migrant.

Whatever, I wish you and your boyfriend all the best together,

Cynic
Expat Team