How to move to england as american citizen?

I am wanting to move to england to be with my boyfriend. It seems almost impossible for americans to get a visa to move there. We'd get married but hes in school finishing up his degree and because he isnt working much he doesnt meet the financial requirement for us to get married :( what are my options? Can i find an american business in england and work for them and get a visa that way? Or what can i do besides going there on a 6 month tourist visa?

Hello Kd.m0607.

I invite you to read the following article, it might help you to find some informations about the working visas in England.

- Work visas in the United Kingdom

You should also try to post your resume/CV in the Jobs in England section. And specify which kind of job you're looking for.

Thanks and good luck

Karen :)

so thats totally not going to work :( ugh!
ok I guess my last option would be to do the six month tourist visa.. now if i do that, how long do i have to leave for to come back again for another tourist visa?

The guideline for UK tourist visas is that you cannot be in the UK for more than 6 months out of every 12. However, there is more to it: the UK Border Agency will only allow you into the country if they are satisfied that you will not run out of money part way through your vacation. They will also want to be assured that you have a reason to return to the US such as a job, an apartment etc. I would not attempt to go for more than a few weeks if it's your first trip.

well.. i have a work from home job so the funds are there.. i just want to live there to be with my boyfriend. there is like no possible options! :( we cant get married til hes done with school and gets a proper job. right now is "work" is school.. theres got to be a way for me to live there :/ I dont go to school so I cant go to uni :/ and i cant get a work visa because im not specifically skilled in a particular area where no one in London cant do it... :/ ive been to london multiple times, just not for more than a week at a time.

Honey - many of my friends who moved overseas for a relationship did so after several years of dating long distance until they were ready to get married and have their lives all ready & in place (aka, having jobs/education).  I think it might be worth you guys visiting each other as often as you can afford it to see if you are really ready to make a more permanent commitment.  It will also give you both time to get some job experience and save money.  Visas in the UK are EXPENSIVE and it's expensive to live here.  You sound very young and you have plenty of time to learn and grow in this relationship.

In sum, there isn't any simple solution.

Just to clarify, there is nothing to stop you guys getting married if you want to do so, but that would not help with the visa problem.

Once he has finished studying, you might look into the "Surrinder Singh" route: once married, you both have an absolute right to live and work together in any EU country other than the UK. And once the two of you have lived in another EU country for at least six months and have satisfied certain technical conditions, you both gain the right as EU residents to live and work in the UK.

Mrsukyankee is right. I had been married for thirteen years before we move to England and it was still difficult for us. I suggest you come over for two to three months to get a feel for it and then make you decision.