Philippine airports

Just got back again in Manila from a 2 day stint in Hong Kong. Is there any better way to fly in and out of Manila with the exception of taking PAL ?

All non-PAL flight have to go to old international airport. The airport is old (not even updated) and has stinking facilities. I've already noted that this airport was voted the worst in the world because of its often times non functioning toilets. But it is not just the toilet that is a problem.......

Restaurant

Most international airport have food court. There may be food stores in this old airport but only few. It serve the most junked food you could be wanting to eat but for those extremely hungry individual - not much choice but to chow what is available.

This time though, I choose to wait until Cathay's boarding.

Wifi

Signage indicated the availability of wifi but most of the time a signal is there but no internet at all.

As I continued to walk towards boarding gates, an airport sales rep approached and informed me that the airport has unlimited wifi and food buffet if I go to upper floor 'All that for 250 pesos'.... now I figured it is another monopoly..... but the airport admins do not even put a sign anywhere or at least direct you where to go of its existing facility upstairs...

Somehow at the boarding gate, I tried accessing wifi that was provided by the nearest Singapore Airline and it works but not sure if I am legally allowed to use...

PAL

Every traveller that has taken PAl flights often complained about its poor customer service. I, however have mixed criticism. I have taken PAL from San Francisco, it has the superb customer service but what I do not like are some Filipino passengers who think that they are divas, you hear their unreasonable complaints, even asking for a brand new pillow.

I have taken PAL domestic flight, that I can attest the worse customer service ever, I only asked for a glass of water, one hour later and that the plane have to start descending, my water has not been served. You can see that the cabin crew was not even busy...

Most international airport in the world do not discriminate the airline operators and to think that Philippines is asignatory of every trade agreement in Asia and Pacific region, but then its own civil aviation provides preferential treatment of the national carrier.

NAIA is voted worst in Asia and 3 or 4th worst in the world.  Although I think Dehli or Mumbai are far worse.

Anyway, I fly to Singapore about once a month and take Tiger or Jetstar. Always pack a sandwhich. I havent flown Cebu Pacific, but that is out of Term 3, which is the new Term. PAL is not that bad as it used to be, so you could try it as its Term 2.  But neither term has much food so pack a meal.

dhnindc wrote:

NAIA is voted worst in Asia and 3 or 4th worst in the world.  Although I think Dehli or Mumbai are far worse.

Anyway, I fly to Singapore about once a month and take Tiger or Jetstar. Always pack a sandwhich. I havent flown Cebu Pacific, but that is out of Term 3, which is the new Term. PAL is not that bad as it used to be, so you could try it as its Term 2.  But neither term has much food so pack a meal.

What makes you say Airports in Mumbai and Delhi are "far worse" ?! :O

The last time I was in Dehli and Mumbai was 3 years back but spent 9 months working in India. I used to have to fly to Hyderabad, and that was worse but believe they have a new airport. The biggest issue was crowd control at entrance. NAIA is bad, but Dehli had far more people flying and families to see them off, and you had to battle your way upfront. The once inside, the place is huge and not well marked to find the ticket counter.

Xray machine never worked and they pretty much searched every bag by hand. At each point, they stamp a little piece of paper on your bag. If you lose the paper, then go all the way back to start. Waiting area was a chaotic, not enough seats, but I usually flew business so could use the lounge.

The toilets are mostly squatting and a mess. They are not cleaned enough and of course have to use the hose to clean off.

Mumbai is in the middle of the worst ghetto I have ever seen. And Dehli airport doesnt have the radar that allows planes to land in fog. So for 2-3 months, the airport is pretty much shut down til the fog clears.

I have also flown thru Moscow, forget which airport. Its bad as nothing is in English and confusing as hell. And people generally in a bad mood.

Just my 2 cents.

hello,

You are off topic. could you please concentrate on the initial topic.

Thank you.

Christine wrote:

hello,

You are off topic. could you please concentrate on the initial topic.

Thank you.

Well, the point there in asking that question of being far worse was to find out the how the airport in Manila is being compared to airports in Delhi and Mumbai. I don't know if that was off the topic. Anways, no more such discussion from now! :)

female_expat wrote:

Every traveller that has taken PAl flights often complained about its poor customer service. I, however have mixed criticism. I have taken PAL from San Francisco, it has the superb customer service but what I do not like are some Filipino passengers who think that they are divas, you hear their unreasonable complaints, even asking for a brand new pillow.

I take PAL because of its direct flight from SF to Manila and back.  I think it's less likely to get your luggage lost or misdirected on direct flights. 

The last time I rode PAL, the staff were very attentive to us, even if our ticket was just coach / economy.  Helped secure my son's car seat, stroller, etc.  The other passengers took up a lot of our overhead storage space.  The flight attendants assisted us with getting our carry-ons in the overhead compartments. 

I've taken several round trip flights with PAL from SF to Manila for 2 to 3-week vacations to the Philippines. During off peak season, and sometimes even during peak season, I noticed there's a lot of vacant seats for flights from SF to Manila.  I could sometimes raise the arm rest and sleep lying down.  But from Manila to SF, there are no vacant seats, even off peak.  But the flight is shorter: just 12 hrs Manila to SF versus 16 hrs SF to Manila.

You are spot on. PAL is the last airline that I would take. When I was in the Philippines, I could never understood the fact of why non PAL flights go to the oldest and under-renovated airport. You do not see such discrimination occurred in Thailand, Singapore and other tiger economies.

female_expat wrote:

Restaurant

Most international airport have food court. There may be food stores in this old airport but only few. It serve the most junked food you could be wanting to eat but for those extremely hungry individual - not much choice but to chow what is available.

This time though, I choose to wait until Cathay's boarding.

Wifi

Signage indicated the availability of wifi but most of the time a signal is there but no internet at all.

As I continued to walk towards boarding gates, an airport sales rep approached and informed me that the airport has unlimited wifi and food buffet if I go to upper floor 'All that for 250 pesos'.... now I figured it is another monopoly..... but the airport admins do not even put a sign anywhere or at least direct you where to go of its existing facility upstairs...

Somehow at the boarding gate, I tried accessing wifi that was provided by the nearest Singapore Airline and it works but not sure if I am legally allowed to use...

PAL

I have taken PAL domestic flight, that I can attest the worse customer service ever, I only asked for a glass of water, one hour later and that the plane have to start descending, my water has not been served. You can see that the cabin crew was not even busy...

Most international airport in the world do not discriminate the airline operators and to think that Philippines is asignatory of every trade agreement in Asia and Pacific region, but then its own civil aviation provides preferential treatment of the national carrier.

shu hada!!?:cool: