Kita & Flat search in Berlin

Hi Everyone!

I moving to Berlin on July with my daughter & wife. I have read it is hard to find a place at a Kita & a Flat.

Do you have any recommendation that helped you archive this matter?

I´m going to study an MBA programe at the Hochschule für wirtschaft und recht (HWR), What are the neighborhoods near the university (max 30 min distance) that are affordable & you recomment for renting a flat?

What is the easier/faster way to get a place into a Kita?

Is it easier to get into a private Kita? Is the waiting list shorter?

Thanks for any recommendation, I would appreciate it.

Thanks and regards,

Andres

Berlin has a centralized system of checking your daughter's eligibility to attend a kindergarten. You have to apply for that at the local Jugendamt. If successful. you get a voucher, which you can then use to register her at a Kita of your choice - provided there is space.
Here is a page explaining the details (of course only in German) and with a link to a Kita database, where you can even search for available spaces (only 19 of over 2000 Kitas listed have any, the others have waitlists):
https://www.berlin.de/familie/familie/d … finden-288
Alternatively, you could move to the rural areas around the city, where finding spaces is much easier (a remainder of the communist past).

Finding a flat is not easy and will take time. So arrange temporary accommodation for the initial weeks or months until you find a permanent rental (searching from abroad before your arrival is not possible). Also, adjust your requirements to the market:
- In a huge city like Berlin, an hour or more commuting is nornal.
- Do you have a realistic idea of what size, amenities and price you want? If not, consult the local rental survey ("Mietspiegel"). To find something faster, raise your budget!
- In Germany, you rent flats completely empty (although a fitted kitchen with appliances are sometimes included). Do you bring your own household gear? If not, do you have a budget (and time) to buy everything - on top of the rental deposit (three months rent) and possibly a realtor fee (another three months rent)?
- Don't expect to find a place ready to move in - signing a rental contract two to three months beforehand is common.

As Beppi mentioned, it is difficult to find a good flat, especially if one is a foreigner.   One should definitely ask the HWR if they can help. Some educational institutions have affordable student apartments or other options or can at least give some tips or leads. Maybe having a child also pushes one up on the list of who is eligible and likely to get such a place which is usually limited in number.

Another thing about commuting time to consider is the proximity to public transportation can be more important than distance. Thus one could be 10 Km distance but next to a convenient S-Bahn line that gets you to where you need to go in 20 minutes. Or one could live 4 or 5 Km away but need to walk 5 blocks, catch a bus, then change 2 times on U-Bahns  requiring 50 minutes.

i'm probably late on this, but since I live in Berlin (and have for a long time), I thought I'd weigh in in case you haven't sorted this out or someone else has the same issue.

It's a *little* more complicated, unfortunately.

First of all, as beppi mentioned, it's important to register at the Jugendamt and get your voucher. Our Kitas are fully subsidised, but you have to get into the system to benefit from this. That being said, it's also highly localised, so you'll probably need to have an address first before you can tackle the Kita issue. Finding an apartment in Berlin is not easy. HWR isn't in the worst part of Berlin for renters, though. I'd look in Friedenau or Steglitz. They're not directly in the immediate area, but the U-Bahn connection there is good, plus they're outside the "Ring", so apartments are more affordable and easier to come by (not saying it's easy, though). Those are also decent areas for families. You could also try Tempelhof....it would involve an additional connection, but if you live near the S-Bahn, you're probably still good. That being said, almost anywhere in the south western half of the city would work, as long as it's not getting too close to the city border (where public transport starts to get sparser). One of the better parts of Berlin is access to public transport.

I don't know about going for any sort of student housing. You could try, but all I read about is how student housing is in a massive crisis, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Finding a Kita space in Berlin can be HARD. Your best bet is to personally start calling and visiting the ones close to where you want to live and get yourself on some waiting lists. Then, follow up, follow up, follow up! Getting a Kita space is somewhat like getting a job – your chances are better if they like you and think you're  a good fit for their Kita.

That being said, you do have rights if you're a registered resident (but you have to have a registered resident, so find a place to live first!) If you can't find a space, you have a right to one in your neighbourhood and the Jugendamt can place you in one. It just might not be all that convenient for you. Failing that, if you really can't find a space that works for you, the Jugendamt may also pay for a private babysitter (Tagesmutter).