Getting permanent residency/citizenship and surviving financially

hi,

i'm an abc (american born chinese). 

i have a bachelor's degree in psychology, which is a useless degree.  basically i don't have any useful skills.

i have some questions:

1. what are my chances of getting permanent residency or citizenship in Thailand?

2. what are my chances of getting a job in the Thailand?

3. What are my chances of getting a work visa in the Thailand?

4. What are my chances of surviving financially in the Thailand?

5. can you get a work permit for teaching english in private lessons?

6. if no, then is teaching english (in private lessons) without a work permit illegal?

7. if teaching english (in private lessons) without a work permit is illegal, what will happen to you if you get caught by the authorities?

8. if i  married a thai woman, could i teach english legally (in private lessons) in thailand?

thanks

Any work in Thailand without a Work Permit is illegal.

Can you teach Mandarin?

Thai schools are teaching English and Mandarin because you have a degree that will help you obtain a higher paid position teaching.

i only speak a little bit of mandarin, so no, i do not speak mandarin. 

the only language i speak fluently is english.

thanks

English then

thepcman wrote:

Any work in Thailand without a Work Permit is illegal.

Can you teach Mandarin?

Thai schools are teaching English and Mandarin because you have a degree that will help you obtain a higher paid position teaching.

i´m unclear on what you mean.  in terms of teaching english, here are the questions, i was wondering about:

what are my chances of getting a job in the Thailand?

What are my chances of getting a work visa in the Thailand?

What are my chances of surviving financially in the Thailand?

can you get a work permit for teaching english in private lessons?

if no, then is teaching english (in private lessons) without a work permit illegal?

if teaching english (in private lessons) without a work permit is illegal, what will happen to you if you get caught by the authorities?

if i  married a thai woman, could i teach english legally (in private lessons) in thailand?

(see post 1 for the full list of questions if you're interested)

thanks

https://www.teachaway.com/teaching-jobs … -teacher-1

1. Your chance of getting a job in Thailand is high if you want to teach English legally.
2. You get the work permit when you get the teaching position.
3. You will need to be on a tight budget if you want to live off your earnings only.
4. No.
5. No.
6. Blacklisted from entering the country.
https://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/wo … ailand.php
7. No. Marry a Thai woman will help you stay in the country under a marriage visa, I have been married for 13 years and do not see many benefits. Being married enables you to stay in the country with a 1-year visa.

https://travelfreak.net/cost-of-travel-in-thailand/

thepcman wrote:

https://www.teachaway.com/teaching-jobs-abroad/esl-teacher-1

1. Your chance of getting a job in Thailand is high if you want to teach English legally.
2. You get the work permit when you get the teaching position.
3. You will need to be on a tight budget if you want to live off your earnings only.
4. No.
5. No.
6. Blacklisted from entering the country.
https://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/wo … ailand.php
7. No. Marry a Thai woman will help you stay in the country under a marriage visa, I have been married for 13 years and do not see many benefits. Being married enables you to stay in the country with a 1-year visa.

Do you need to leave the country to apply and obtain a new marriage visa before your existing one nearly expires

Visa run to a neighboring country is the cheapest way to do it

pcman,

i'm a little confused by your responses

you mentioned that teaching english (in private lessons) is not illegal, but then you mentioned that you will get blacklisted from entering thailand if you get caught for teaching english private lessons.  then, you mentioned that if you married a thai woman, that you are not allowed to legally teach english private lessons.

pcman, where do you live right now?  are you in australia right now?

so you are married to a thai woman?

being married to a thai woman only allows you to stay in thailand for a year?

what happens after the year?  do you have to leave the country for a certain amount of time and come back, or can you stay in thailand and renew the visa without leaving the country?

thanks

if anyone else who is in thailand right now has any responses to the questions in post 1, it would be great to hear from you.

thanks

I'm an American living in Thailand on a Non-Immigrant Education Visa to learn the Thai language. My son has taught English here for 7+ years, is married to a Thai and have a child together.  Check online for Thai teaching jobs, you make need to get a TEFL certificate in the U.S. to increase your chances of getting a job teaching English.  Check the requirements for teaching jobs before investing in the 120 hours to get a TEFL certificate.

When you apply to the Thai Consulate for a 60 day Tourist Visa in the U.S. you must provide a recent bank statement, demonstrating you have enough funds to survive financially.  Or you can come to Thailand and receive a 30 day Tourist Visa upon arrival at the airport.  You will start off with this Visa while the School that hires you prepares the necessary paperwork for the Work permit.

If you are hired by a primary, secondary or language school, they will do all of the paperwork for the Work Visa and you typically sign a 2 year contract. If you are between jobs you will need to do a Visa-run to a neighboring country to get a Tourist Visa for 30-60 day stay.

My son taught in China for a year before coming to Thailand, because his degree was in Liberal Arts and not in Education. So be open to other countries in Asia to get teaching experience, if they're willing to hire you.

There's no such thing as permanent citizenship for a foreigner period.  With a marriage Visa you still have to renew on a regular basis, you can't own land, and may still need to do periodic Visa-runs.

Hope this helps, good luck!

BD

according to wikitravel, americans don´t need a visa for tourist stays up to 30 days:

"(B) Countries/territories that do not require a visa for stay up to 30 days: (30 days when entering by air; by land border only 14 days)- Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bahrain, Brunei, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Kuwait, Laos, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Macau, Malaysia, Monaco, Mongolia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Russia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, South Africa, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States and Vietnam."

teaching group classes sounds like a nightmare for me (i´m an introvert).  can you get a job teaching english in private lessons in thailand?

also, according to wikitravel, "Drunk driving, speeding and reckless passing are depressingly common, and bus and taxi drivers (especially for private companies) work inhuman shifts and often take drugs to keep themselves awake, with predictable and tragic results. It's common for motorbikes — even police! — to drive close to the curb on the wrong side of the road. Death tolls sky-rocket around major holidays, especially Songkhran, when bystanders often throw water on passing cars and bikes. Many drivers don't use headlights at night, multiplying risks, and it is wise to avoid or minimize overnight travel by road."

what are my chances of getting injured or killed in traffic in thailand?  it's not worth it for me to move there if there is a high chance i will get injured or killed in traffic. 

what are my chances of getting injured or killed by flooding or monsoons in thailand?

thanks