Masters in Australia

Hi All

I have bachelor's degree in electrical and electronics engineering. Also 7+ years experience in the IT industry as a mainframe developer. My husband has 12+ years experience as a PeopleSoft and Oracle DBA. I am willing to pursue masters in Australia and settle there along with family. What is the best course which helps me to get PR? Also what is the eligibility criteria,? Can my husband work as my dependent?

Thanks

www.immi.gov.au for information. Permanent residency takes a few years to get. Your husband cannot work if he is your dependent.

Plenty of courses available. Check online for these.

There is a skills shortage list for Australia so check that out as it makes applications easier.

For jobs just use Google to search.  www.seek.com.au or linkedin are two plenty of other sites. Register with employment agencies.

You will need medical insurance for everyone. For living costs www.numbeo.com

Thank you so much for your quick response.
By the way I read online and understood dependent of student visa can work. Am I wrong?
Also once student visa expires can I get extension of visa? I mean new visa on which I can work?  I wanted to choose better course so that I can get job sooner . Thanks

Those on a student visa can work but only part time 20 hours a week. If you are still studying, have attended courses regularly and satisfied the terms and conditions of your visa you can extend the visa. The authorities may well contact the teaching institution to see if you have fulfilled the above conditions. There has been many instances of overseas students entering Australia and then failing to attend school / university and simply working part time or working illegally. Those found have been deported.

Hi Aiyasifathi,

If you are a postgraduate research student (PhD or Masters by research):
i) you can work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight during any preliminary courses you undertake
ii) if you have commenced your masters by research or doctoral degree in Australia, there is no limit on the number of hours you may work (the same applies to your spouse/dependent)

If non -research type of Masters pursued, you will have same work conditions of max 20 hours per week both for yourself and spouse.