How to get an apartment in Den Haag?

Hi, I moved to the Netherlands about a month ago from the United States.  I have never had this much trouble getting an apartment in any other place I've lived.  Not even when I lived in New York City.

About half the apartment listings I have responded to, never gave me any reply.  The agencies which did usually told me that apartment has already been rented.  One agency yesterday had a button on their listings on a third party website title "Plan a viewing".  After I clicked on that I received an email from the listing agency telling me how bad the website that connected me to them is, and that I then need to register with them directly to set up an appointment.  They had no intention of using the Plan a viewing button to actually plan a viewing!

In three weeks of searching for apartments, so far I've only been able to view one apartment!  I placed an application on that apartment but today I was rejected.  It wasa small unfurnished studio apartment.  My application was that I would pay the entire 12 months rental fees up front.  Plus, I sent them my flawless credit history (no debt, no late payments), and my bank account balances of about two hundred thousand Euro.  But that wasn't enough!

So how does one rent an apartment here?  When even money does not work?

So far I love the Netherlands but I'm on the verge of leaving because I can't find a simple apartment.

Is this typical?

Thanks,
David

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

First of; at the top of this page is a link to our own Housing section; please check that out first.

If that hasn't worked and you're back reading this, you're discovering one of the problems in living in Holland as an Expat and the problem isn't simple.  There is a shortage of decent accommodation in key areas in the west (Den Haag and Amsterdam); the vast majority of rental apartments that you see online are indeed almost certainly already gone by the time you've seen them; some websites are just scams picking up passing traffic for advertising revenue and are leeching data from other sites.  For people asking where to look, I tend to point people towards Pararius, not because they are any better, but they seem to exist and I've never had any negative feedback from others I've pointed in that direction; this link will take you to their website.

The bottom line is you don't have time to shop around, get the best deal, find the nicest place, because, by the time you've done all that, the apartment has gone.

My advice is to find an agency (ask your colleagues who they used when they did it), register with them, tell them what you want and wait.

Alternatively, choose somewhere else in Holland to live, the further away you are from the west, the easier it gets.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi Cynic,

Thank you for your helpful and quick response to my problem.  I'm going to contact an agency to help me with my search.  I'm already quite settled on Den Haag, I only have a couple more months before my tourist status runs out, and although it would likely be easier in other parts of the Netherlands, for me that would mean adjusting to a whole new area of a country I hardly know.  Plus, I plan on setting up my business here under the Dutch American Friendship Treaty, so it would be more difficult for me to set it up somewhere else in the Netherlands and then later move it here.

I have been using reviews on Google Maps to try to narrow down rental agencies.  I have found so many bad reviews, but I figure that people are more likely to submit reviews when they have had problems.  I have tried to minimize reviews with little or no text, or from reviewers who only submitted one review.  I also sorted reviews by date to see if there have been trends about agencies and whether customers have had better experiences more recently with them.

I knew apartment hunting would be difficult here, but I never imagined it would be this hard.  I had also thought that since the weather here is colder now, that would make things better.  But so far that hasn't seemed to help much either.

I was getting quite discouraged before I found this website.  Thank you for your suggestions.  They give me more hope that I can stay here.  I'm glad I found this website and forum.

David

I must say there is a shortage in the whole country, even Dutch nationals have to wait a long time for a suitable place to rent.
To buy a house is even more difficult, if I use Amsterdam as an example the prices there are just going trough the roof. (I always wonder why people want to live in that hell hole :D )

In the news a couple weeks ago there was an item where a lot of people were pretty upset about. The article stated that Dutch house buyers were having trouble to buy a house , because Expats are buying the available houses. So we Dutch don't have a chance at our own housing market, that wasn't received well I must say.

Our government has also plans to restrict the airbnb market, they intend to restrict owners to a maximum of 30 days they can rent there houses or apartments.
Those plans are going to be effected for next year and it's most likely that there are going to be more restrictions for buying a house or apartment for expats.

The Netherlands is just not big enough and there are many building restrictions to build new houses. That's the reality for the now and in the future.

I don't want to discourage anybody and yes there are still houses, the prices just went insane.

But to answer your question if you just want to set up a business avoid the Randstad and go to the countryside. It's a lot easier to find a suitable place there.