Train & Plane Ticket Purchasing & Prices

PLANE:

I recently flew business class from Hà Nội to Đã Nẵng.

Almost every travel website wanted around $400 USD or more for the one-way flight.

By booking directly through VietnamAirlinesDOTcom (NOT .ORG) my ticket cost ₫3,200,000 (about $137 USD) about a week ahead of travel.

TRAIN:

I'm heading to Huế from Đã Nẵng today via the train for 4 days of exploring.

Just to learn how it's done here, I decided to purchase my tickets in advance at the Đã Nẵng station.

I'm VERY glad I did.

In searching for ticketing information, I found that the actual website for the national railways is not very user friendly for an English-only viewer.

However, a website, Vietnam-RailwayDOTcom, was always first in my Google results, after promoted sites.

It proved to be a great source of planning information but a horrible rip-off.

The website quotes a price of $25 USD for a soft berth on my selected train.

At the station, I was charged ₫152,000 (about $6.50 USD).

I needed my passport to make the purchase in person.

Make sure you take a number first.

Electronic signs will indicate which agent will help you.

Also, have all of your information--date, time, train number, departure city, arrival city and class of ticket--prepared to show the ticketing agent (maybe type it into a smartphone note app and show it to them).

NOTE: Google Translate does NOT do a good job with "soft berth" or "soft bench".

Instead, if you want that class, write the English "Low (or High, if you want), Room4 beds, Air-con" which is what prints out on the boarding pass.

In Đã Nẵng, the ticketing office is in the low-slung building to the left as you are facing the main station building.

If you have special info regarding other cities or routes, please share.

We bought our tickets for Tet a couple of weeks ago when  the trains opened up. We are going HCMC to Da Nang. The plane ticket is only a bit more, maybe 20% more than the train.
So we are taking the plane north, but the train back. Otherwise how could we transport the dozen boxes of Quang Nam food needed to survive another year in Sai Gon !