Trailing spouse employment issues

Hi everyone;

I am looking for others to share their experiences regarding if your spouse is working in The Netherlands if you were the one who came here upon accepting employment. Allow me to explain.

In 2016, my wife accepted a job with an international education organization here in The Hague. I "arrived" about a year after she did as I remained in the U.S. to tie off loose ends and sell our house to relocate to The Netherlands. I left my job as an investigator for the Chicago Police Department after 17 years with the hopes that I would be able to find employment with one of many courts, tribunals, or other such agencies located here. Since my first application, I have had absolutely no luck in securing any type of professional employment with such agencies and/or private industry, and have only received "standard" rejection letters.

In researching "trailing spouse" issues, I came to learn that upwards of 65% of the spouses who relocate abroad in support of their wife's/husband's career do not find employment for as long as the live overseas. Thus, I wanted know if you are the individual who came to The Netherlands upon the acceptance of a job offer/relocation assignment, has your spouse been able to find a job that is reasonably within their career field? If so, how long did it take?

I ask this because if I do not find a professional level job soon, we may have to return to the U.S. when my wife 30% ruling expires three years ahead of schedule. The Dutch tax system will crush us and potentially drain our retirement accounts.

Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I'm sorry to read of your issues, however, I'm not surprised.  To get a good job anywhere, assuming there are vacancies, you really need 4 specific things:

Relevant qualifications
Relevant experience
Speak the local language
Luck

It's normally the 4th one that really screws you over.  I'll leave you to tick the boxes, but many people only come with at best 25%.  You say you speak a small bit of Dutch, you really need to improve on that to get any public facing role.  Failing that, perhaps check out the multi-nationals and see what they have available, or check out where your wife works, perhaps someone there may have some advice to offer?

With regards to your tax issues; I'm not a tax expert, but have been a "victim" of the Belastingdienst in the past.  My understanding is that there is a double taxation agreement in place between the US/NL; which means that regardless off your status, you shouldn't be "assessed" for income tax in NL that has been "assessed" for taxes in the US (assessed is the keyword).  If your investments were previously included in part of the 30% tax rebate assessment (because your wife's salary did not reach the maximum limit, then yes, they will now fall into the tax arena).  There is also the issue of Dutch social taxes, which do not fall under the double taxation agreement at all.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thanks for the reply!

My situation, however, is somewhat unique. My wife's company generally does not hire relatives of current employees and even if the company did, I do not think my experience is relevant to her field of work. I was an investigator with the Chicago Police Department for almost 20 years and when we made decision to come here, I believed that my experience and education (I hold a university education) would have made me a suitable candidate and eventually, I would find a job. Unfortunately, many of the international agencies, organizations, etc., are not really interested in an American for a variety reasons. Some organizations, such as Europol, won't even look at me as I am not a citizen of an E.U country. Lacking complete fluency in Dutch, my employment options are extremely limited.

About a year ago, I went to a job fair here in Den Haag where there were five employment recruiters. Of the three I talked with, all of them told me no one was looking for someone like me; they wanted sales, IT, finance, marketing, or customer service.  Thus, I am not sure if my experience is unique or what any expat might find in The Netherlands.

Hi and welcome back.

It may well feel it, but unfortunately, you're not unique; I experienced a similar situation when I first moved to Holland over 20 years ago; it hasn't changed much since then.  I've also met people in a similar situation over the years; the bottom line is to not take it personally and look around for what else you can do.

For me, enforced retirement at 40 looked kind of cool at the start, but within a few months I was climbing the walls, so I ended up getting a really good job with a US multi in the UK and commuting.  So I really can sympathise with those who are also facing the realities of getting that good job.

I wasn't suggesting that you try and work with your wife, but they may have contacts in other HR departments in different organisations who may know of something; they have a saying in Dutch that loosely translates into "you have no, you may get yes".  Her HR people weren't born in that office, they will have friends and contacts.

In the meantime, keep plugging away at your Dutch, it can only open up doors for you and it's a lot of fun making mistakes; I know that for certain. :)

I have been here almost 9 months and I am still looking.
I have 25+ years experience (at C Level) with 3 degrees and A2 level Dutch and the only jobs I can find are order picking or material handling jobs at €9-10 oh.
I also get those auto reply emails
I have decided to keep trying until Feb 2019 (1 year) and if I can't find anything I will return to my home country

Thanks for the reply - my situation is similar to yours. The only employment I found was delivering junk mail for minimum wage - no a job for which a university degree is not certainly needed. More and more I get the feeling that the employment of a trailing spouse is an after thought.