Marriage

Hi , so I'm Canadian have all documents from Canada , we go my Brazilian fiancé and try to register , but they tell me I need go to federal police and get prof of how long I can stay here , I just got here 2 weeks again and upon entering I know I had only 1 week left for my calander year , but when I come they give me another 90 ???? Go figure so my passport is stamped 90 ??? Also have anyone known of this before haveing proof of stay from federal police even if my passport stamped 90 ?
Thanks
Kim

.     A clear and legible Certified copy of your Entry Card - Note: again the Cartório will make this copy for you so take the original.

What is this?

Kim

Also if I am over my stay a week you think they will issue me entry card ?

Kimmie B wrote:

.     A clear and legible Certified copy of your Entry Card - Note: again the Cartório will make this copy for you so take the original.

What is this?

Kim

The Entry Card is the multipart white slip that the flight attendant should have passed out when your flight to Brazil took off.  It says "Cartão de Entrada/Saída" in Portuguese in bold letters at the top, with "Entry/Exit Card" in English in smaller letters below it.

If you didn't receive one, don't panic:  apparently, not everyone is getting them anymore, and the Federal Police is letting people in just the same.  If you do have it, though, It obviously will make things easier.

On the question the Cartório is asking about how much more time you have, the stamp in your passport should be enough for them.  I'd suggest these actions, in this order, with your Brazilian fiancé doing the talking:
1. Go to the Cartório at a different time, in hopes that you get waited on by a more reasonable person.  If this doesn't work,
2. Point to the valid visa and the valid arrival stamp, and explain that this should be enough for your marriage.  If this doesn't work,
3. Try a different Cartório that provides the same services. 
If none of this works, you'll need to go to the Federal Police.  It's quite possible that they'll be confused by the request, but after you two explain your predicament with the Cartório, chances are they'll give you something you can use.

What's the difference in Cartório and federal police ?
Thank
Kim

And no I didn't receive one from flight attendant

But yes at Cartório she seen my stamp on visa and  from when I arrived and said we need to fo federal police  , to get a entry card ? So Cartório can give me entry  card ? And if not what's worst can happen at federal police ?

Kimmie B wrote:

What's the difference in Cartório and federal police ?
Thank
Kim

A Cartório (in this case -- there are several types of Cartórios, with different purposes) is the Brazilian equivalent of the municipal office where you go in Canada to get a marriage license.  Your fiancé should understand the type of Cartório you need, and where a number of them are.

The Federal Police is the Brazilian equivalent of the RCMP, including having responsibility for oversight of foreigners in the country.

Don't worry about the Entry Card if you don't have one.  It's water under the bridge now.  If people ask, just keep explaining that you weren't issued one, and that the Federal Police didn't ask for it at Passport Control.

It's best not to think about "the worst that can happen" at the Federal Police.  When dealing with them, when dealing with any Brazilian bureaucracy really, you want to keep the focus on exact problem that you need resolved, which, in your case, is that it's ok for the Cartório to issue a marriage license to you and your fiancé.

So ? Your advise ? Please ,,Do you think we should  register at civil registry first before going to federal police ?  because the lady at cortirio told us to go register and get entry card from federal police without entry card or do that not matter because the Cortirio is one who need register it , ,,,and she said was good  because my passport and stamp of 90 days enough ?
Or do to federal police first and ask for entry card ?
Thx
Kim

I gave you my best advice above, and don't have much to add.
As far as I know, there are no do-overs with the Entry Card.  If you didn't get one on the plane, no one will probably give you one now, and if the Federal Police didn't ask for it when they stamped your passport, then YOU DON'T NEED IT.  The Cartório is ill-informed.
You want to avoid going to the Federal Police, if possible; it shouldn't be necessary.  Your fiancé, or another native speaker of Portuguese, like his parents, should go to the Cartório and convince them to just give you the marriage license.
Only if they won't budge should you go to the Federal Police.  If you do, your native speaker spokesperson should do all the talking, and limit the discussion to the immediate issue:  that the Cartório is confused, and need some reassurance to issue the marriage license.

Thank u

Kim