Renting

I am starting a new job in Amsterdam in october and I have had no luck in finding decent accommodation either in The Hague or I would prefer Haarlem.  I am from the uk,23 male and just graduated from university and looking forward to starting work.  I want the apartment to be clean and would flatshare but just dont know where to start.  The price range for the properties are really expensive as i just want to rent for the first six months upto 800 euros per month but at the moment it would seem even this is impossible, as the market moves so quick.  Please could you give me any information which would be grateful.

Check out the Pararius website; here's a link to a search I just did in Amsterdam.

Word or warning; you are right at the bottom end of the market; decent places are double what you're proposing.  Almost certainly, most of the property you see online at that price will be gone within hours, or they are scams.  Word of warning, do not pay out any "fees" in advance.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi, thank you yes i understand this, trying to find a flatmate that i can share the cost with now, as i think that would get me a better and more affordable property, just trying to find the best place to  find rental that is not a scam.

Hi Sam,

Broaden your search a bit try Zaandam, Amstelveen and all the smaller places around A'dam.
Try to hang some advertising asking for a simple room in places like supermarkets. Place an advertisement online on Marktplaats being proactive in the Netherlands is the best way to get what you want.

Groeten Ramses

Thank you, at the moment i am based back home in uk, i dont fly out till the day before i sign contract on the 15th october.  So just staying with friends but can only do that for a couple of nights so trying to get a apartment over here which i know is going to be difficult, thanks anyway.  If you know anyone who has a place please let me know.

Well you can try a "antikraak" apartment those are really cheap. Those are totally empty and you help protecting an empty building. I don't know the English word for "kraken".

You can live in A'dam for 180 euros a month so maybe it's something you could do. Look here: here

If people want to know if they can apply for an apartment like that here are the conditions: Villex conditions

Kraken = squatters in English.