Places to live in the Dominican Republic

I am planning on moving to the DR and trying to figure out where I want to live. Google maps is a pretty good resource. I was looking at the Barahona provence on the southern coast. There is some interesting looking coastline with a number of creeks emptying into the ocean from the mountains behind the coast. There is the town of Paraiso with the beaches of San Rafael and Los Patos close by. What caught my attention was that you can be swimming in fresh water almost directly in front of the beach. There are some very captivating photos on the internet of this area. I am wondering if anyone on the forum is familiar with this area. I don't think the area has been discovered that much by foreign tourists. The other thing is that people fly drones over various towns in the DR and take videos and put them on you tube. People also take videos through the windshields of their cars whiles driving around town and  put them on you tube. This helps give you a feel for what a place is like without being there.

That whole are is starting to appear on the development radar. It's beautiful and fairly untouched. As such you won't find great services etc or many expats.  It's all about what works for you honey!

All that can give you an idea of the place, however, you need to feel the sand 'tween your toes, smell the vegetation, interact with the locals etc,etc,etc. Go spend time there, pics & vids aren't a substitute for the real deal. Go & feel it for real. Welcome to this site & hopefully to the island.

yes it is very beautiful area,but as planner indicated very few expats and med facilities limited,soon there will be a new airport in Barahona and hotels intended for bahia de las aguillas in perdnales which will bring more expats to the south. how soon ???,like tinker said come and experience for yourself the wonderful places the island has to offer.best wishes,puggy

Robert, yes you're right, the south coast there is way undervalued by most gringos.  That area around Los Patos is amazing too.   The weather is better there too since it doesn't rain all the time like many areas in the north, especially the Samana peninsula.    And re services, you can get anything you need in that area, and even if you have to, you can go to the capitol since it's not far, or get it brought in from there.

My wife is lives in Tamboril. I have been there a number of times but I don't want to live there.  Tamboril is famous for manufacturing cigars but it is an industrial town. I grew up in the country in Pennsylvania milking cows when I was a kid. I don't really like city life at all. I am interested in tropical plants. I have a Master's degree in biology but most of my courses were in botany. When I was a student at Penn State many years ago I was a member of a caving club. We would go out and explore caves and make maps of them. Around Penn State there are lots of caves. The DR has lots of caves too. I am wondering if anybody is interested in caves?

I've been in a couple caves here and it was incredible! Truly stunning!

Yes indeed, the stretch of coastline from San Rafael through Paraiso and Los Patos down to Enriquillo is  dramatically beautiful and is a special part of DR for those that are travellers. But be warned those turquiose waters are lovely on a clam days but wash up against a pebbly beach and it is not that easy to swim in the sea in this area. But the rivers flowing down from the mountains are great swimming locations at San Rafael and particularly Los Patos. I do love the latter location and it becomes very busy at weekends with day trippers from the rest of the country and is now served by new car park, timber beach walks and small restaurant and food outlets. It is a great way to pas the day and enjoy a typical Dominican day put at the beach. there are a couple of decent simple Italian places to eat in the area.

Not many expats live in this area which is about 2.5 to 3 hours from Santo Domingo, but that will improve when the Azua ring road gets opened, and even more so if they ever start and complete the much promised Bani ring road.

To be frank, this part of the country will prove challenging for most to live full time and schooling and hospitals will be part of the discussion. Shopping will be limited to medium sized stores in Barahona which does not have the best of reputations as regional towns go.

I would suggest you look elsewhere especially because your lady is from much further north.

If you want something away from the resort towns but on the North Coast why not look west of POP towards Luperon and the gem of Punta Rucia? Just a thought.