Corozal in November 2018

We will be traveling from South Dakota to Corozal in early November of this year and are looking at Belize as a possible snow bird/retirement location.  We like the easy going way of life in this area as well as the access to Chetumal Mexico for shopping.  Are the expat communities like a Home Owners Associations back in the states?  Are there expats living in local communities in Corozal?  How is the crime and drug problems?  I see several business robberies in the area? 

Thanks,
Barth and Sam

There are several expat communities in Corozal District. Consejo and Orchid Bay are both outside of Corozal town and something you might like to check out when you visit. Although there are several others as well, some off grid like Cerros Sands though. OB is more remote but it is gated with 24/7 security, a beach, community pool, restaurant, on the grid and has filtered drinking water from the tap, etc.

There's some crime in Corozal town but there's crime everywhere. And typically it's petty theft or Belizian on Belizian. But we take care not to flash money, leave belongings laying around or act disrespectful to locals.

I found Corozal to be peaceful and safe. The proximity of Corozal to Chetumal is a huge plus to both locals and expats for shopping and medical. However there is an exit fee 32$bz as I recall and of course duty unless u live in Consejo or Cerros and have your own boat.

SusanBelize wrote:

I found Corozal to be peaceful and safe. The proximity of Corozal to Chetumal is a huge plus to both locals and expats for shopping and medical. However there is an exit fee 32$bz as I recall and of course duty unless u live in Consejo or Cerros and have your own boat.

Hi Susan, How do they get around the exit fee by having their own boat? Don't they still have to check in with customs in Consejo?

Well a few  folks I knew there simply boated over (15 min) and  back bypassing customs all together. Others worked out a “deal” with the agent of no or reduced duty in exchange for hard to get goods or contraband. There was also a reduced  exit fee.

many expats do not live in a gated community, choosing instead to live independent of other expats.  As to the departure fee...if you came to Belize under the QRP program it does not apply and if you have gained Residency status it does not apply.  Some items from Mexico cannot be legally brought back into Belize at all....best to check the laws .

On QRP the exit fee still applies as QRP is run by the Tourist board not Immigration. After obtaining Legal Residency the exit fee does not apply.
If living within a certain distance of the border I think there are some easing of the exit rules. Having said that some rules are ignored for ages then suddenly enforced. Logic not always a strong point in Belize Government.

;) f

SusanBelize wrote:

Well a few  folks I knew there simply boated over (15 min) and  back bypassing customs all together. Others worked out a “deal” with the agent of no or reduced duty in exchange for hard to get goods or contraband. There was also a reduced  exit fee.

;) thanks...

Are there any locations or restaurants that have get togethers of expats?  We were wanting to talk to some of them versus a real estate agent.

Every Wednesday and Saturday at Cerros Sands around noon is a darts tournament that a lot of locals attend. There's a soup night every Monday at Tradewinds in Orchid Bay, Scotty's in Corozal town has a trivia party I think on Thursday afternoons but check their website or Facebook page. Jam rock, Bay Breeze and Corozal Blues are a few other restaurants where you can usually find expats too.