Port authority in Progreso

I was told by an international mover in Miami that if you ship household goods by freighter the port charge a port fee, this is separate from brokers and import duty fee. The amount they  told me is  an unbelievable amount.

Can anybody verify this for me. because these are overland movers, to me it sounded like a sales tactic.

Thanks, Hans Berkhof

hello Hnsberk
Best to go to the source. https://www.puertosyucatan.com/ta/tarifas.htm

That's the port and rates.

Most of us tend to leave almost all of that household stuff behind for many reasons. Some of which are it's much cheaper to just replace items, and many items that are fine in the U.S. climate are not fine in the Mexican climates, Most woods rot or become subject to termites, and many metals tarnish or rust quickly.

buena suerte

that is jus the landing cost PUERTO FIJO

hnsberk wrote:

that is jus the landing cost PUERTO FIJO

its a link for information, someplace to ask your questions. or to find out who you should ask. I'm sure they know who is shipping things in and how much is being charged.

thanks again and going to try to do this

We just moved to Merida and shipped a container from Florida. It is important to have your temporal visa when the container arrives, otherwise you are not exempt from import duties. Go to the nearest Mexican consulate and apply for temporal visa, apply in Mexico for the issuance of this visa (waiting now for 5 weeks). Luckely there was someone who wanted to co-sign with a temporal visa and got my container sooner released without paying import duties. At the consulate you also have to apply for a "menaje de casa" for the import of duty free household goods. Very happy that we got our stuff here. I would never sell all my stuff and start all over again. Cost for broker and shipped to door and unload was approx. $ 2000  Cost in Florida to pick up container 40ft from East coast and shipping to Progreso $ 3800

Annamarie, thank you very much, I have a permanent resident card so that would not be a problem . Where did you ship from in Florida and with whom? Also who did you use as an broker and what size container did you get? So the total cost was $5800 and no other port authority and or aduana fees , because I have been contacted by several moving companies also the listed on this website which would charge me little over $9000 they claim if shipped by freighter there is at least $3000 added cost for port and import fees, of which I don't be live it's true especially seeing what you paid. I will need to go to the Mex embassy and get that menaje de muembles de casa, do I have to make up a list of every item I am shipping .

Sorry a lot of questions but I rather be sure than sorry, and so many people trying to get my business, and telling me stories, which some of them are hard to believe therefor all this question.

Thanks again, Hans

I think she is saying it cost her $2000 total.She was comparing shipping by ship vs ground. looks like she saved $1800 by shipping via ocean. Is that correct Annemarie?

I might be wrong but it seems to me two charges 1 for the broker to declare the shipment and 2 the shipping cost itself.

As folks have already said, most of us just start over in Mexico for several reasons. One to mention here is that you often can have custom furniture built here for substantially less than what you'd pay back in the US...I've also listened to a couple of horror stories about the condition of furniture after the trip (it is hurricane season!!).

annamarie thanks, again but would it be possible to to give me some more info like in my earlier request I would appreciate this very much.

thanks again, Hans

Yes I understand however there are some things I would like to bring and is not possible by plane. Because of that mine as well load up the container for the same price.

Thanks for your suggestion, Hans

Hi,

we used an agent called Hiram Cervera in Puerto Progresso.  If you email him, he'll send you an info packet with a lot of great information.  His email address is:  ***.  We got his name from the container company who moved our goods to Mexico.

Good luck!

Moderated by Christine 5 years ago
Reason : please share the contact via your private message system. Thank you.

Hi papusa, thanks for the information, from where did you ship the container and what did they charge you, because I am getting several different quotes with difference from $1000 to $3500. If you want to you can email me the information at, **

Moderated by Christine 5 years ago
Reason : please do not post your contact details on the forum. Thank you

Hi, sent you an email  a few days ago with more details from my hotmail account with more details

Sorry Papusa, I checked my email but didn't see any email although I don't know what email address you used, I might have deleted it if I didn't recognized the address. Please try again [email protected].

Thanks Hans.

Just resent.  My email begins with "hunter"

Hi Papusa, I am sorry I just checked my inbox and my spam and don't se an email address that begins with hunter, are you sure you use this [email protected]. Unless your address starts with sharon, which I just received from new york about the same subject? For some reason this program doesn't print the add sign @
Sorry yes I got it I check my inbox it only start with Sharon but when I opened it I saw your email address, problem solved and thanks.

Hans