Mexican Wedding-- Questions

Hi everyone,
I've been living in Mexico for about 2 years now, on Isla Mujeres near Cancun. Anyway, my boyfriend (Mexican) and I are going to be getting married next year here in Mexico. and we're starting the preliminary planning.. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any Mexican wedding customs, since I have no clue!.. My boyfriend is mexican, but he's a man and doesn't know anything about it either lol.

Any tips, advice, suggestions, etc would all be SO welcome!

Well,

Customs are not that different from the American ones. Music is one, for sure you need to hire a good music group to play, maybe even mariachis around midnight. We don't have a wedding rehearsal, weddings tend to end around 2 or 3 in the morning or until the group leaves and even then some people may stick around just to keep on drinking.

There are several customs during the celebration. One of the is to get a hold of the groom by all men in the party, and throw him up in the air and catch him a couple of times. Also they may try to take away his pants and give him an apron and ask him to sweep the floor and make him drink tequila. All this is just for fun.

Also, both bride and groom step on top of chairs (held by a group of guys for the groom and girls for the bride) and hold a veil. They are separated from each other by maybe 7 feet in order to have enough space between them to allow a row of people to pass through. Guests make a line and go around tables and chairs dancing.

I think that's it, same drunk relatives, joy, happiness and melancholic parents who realize that their babies are not babies anymore haha!

Have fun

Well i will marry a mexican and i have the same problem...but i don't worry it will be fine....good luck to you!take care!

Hi all,

I am living in Mexico City, with my Mexican partner, who is an owner of an events company. They have organised many weddings both traditional and non-traditional. So if you have questions or need some help please feel free to email.

They used to give little treasure chests that guests would fill with little coins. meant to signify the treasure that is marriage and i think the coins represent different blessings. but that may be some real old timey stuff. don't know if they still do it.
i almost died of dysentary on isla mujeres about 35 years ago. back when you really couldn't drink the water. anyway, the only doctor was at the navy base and my parents carried me to the gate and they let us in. i was unconscious at that point. they took me in and when i came to in the infirmary the first face i saw was a mexican sailor. i will never forget that. he was just sitting by the bed watching me. kind people...