To Become expats

Do I ask the workers at the airport how to become an expat?  Do I fill out forms to stay longer than 3 months?  Can a travel agency help me become an expat?

The answer is no to all three questions.

The decision of becoming an expat is yours and the responsibility to make it happen is also yours and yours alone.  No one at the airport or travel agency can help you with the steps to get where you want to go.  In fact, I seriously doubt anyone at the airport or travel agency would know the first thing about becoming an expat, so forget about asking them.  This is the website for expats and you've come to the right place to ask your questions.  Stay put, we'll help you.

Based on your intro page, I assume you're American of Vietnamese descent.  If I'm correct on that assumption, then proceed to the next paragraph.  If I'm wrong, then skip the rest of my post and tell us more about you.

For a child of Overseas Vietnamese, you may be qualified for a multiple entry 5-year VEC (Visa Exemption Certificate).  Living in Houston, you're surrounded by Vietnamese agencies whose specialty is procuring Vietnam Visa for their clients.  Go to one of those places and ask them to help you with a VEC.  They'll charge you around $80, which is highway robbery IMO but you wouldn't have to deal with it yourself. 

There's a Consulate General of Vietnam right there in Houston so your VEC should come back in a few days and will be effective on the date of issuance.  What that means is the clock starts clicking the day the Consulate signs your VEC, so if you don't plan to go to VN until next year, don't apply for it now. 

As you were in the Navy, your passport should be up to date, I assume?  (Another assumption; I'm full of it today.)  You'll need passport, photos, and proof that at least one of your parents is an Overseas Vietnamese.  The people at those agencies will explain everything to you, don't worry about that.

The VEC will allow you to stay in VN for 6 months at a time for a period of 5 years.  Every 6 months, you'll need to leave the country even if only for an hour.  When you re-enter, you'll receive a new stamp in your passport to allow you another 6-month stay.  Do not overstay, not even for one day.  Better yet, take a trip outside of the country or do a visa run a week before the 6 months' mark. 

By having Vietnamese heritage, getting a long term Visa is the easiest part of becoming an expat.  Your difficulty and/or confusion doesn't happen until after you arrive, but that's another post for another day.

Thank you for the help, so the people with the answers are in the US.  I will go to a Vietnamese travel agency when I am ready.  So every 6 month I have to do something to get a visa stamp to come back to Vietnam.  Do I come back to the US to get the visa stamp? Or I can travel a little bit outside Vietnam and get the visa stamp when I fly back to Vietnam?  Can I get a UPS Box in Hawii and travel Back and fourth every month?  I want my driver license to have that UPS box address on it.

You don't need to go back the States every 6 months.  Many expats use the border crossing in Moc Bai for visa renewal.  There's plenty of discussion on this site on that subject, but here's a link that shows you how to do it, step by step:

http://www.thenewtravelblog.com/moc-bai … on-saigon/

Every time you take a trip outside of VN, your 6 months starts again the day you re-enter the country.  For example, your first stay expires on May 1 but you find a very low fare to Singapore on March 6 and you wonder if you should skip it and wait for something to come up around the end of April (for the expiration in May.)   My advice is to go ahead and enjoy your trip.  When you return on March 12, for example, your next 6-month stay will start on March 12, not May 1.

In short, don't build your life around the 6-month stamp.

As having a UPS Box in HI and travel back and forth every month, if you have the funds, why not?  However, you don't need to return that often to keep the box, if that's your intention.  You can set up an automatic payment with either your credit card or your bank account to take care of the monthly fee, or you can opt for the semi-annual or annual payment if you wish to return to HI every 6 months or once a year.

BTW, when you said you want to have the UPS box as your address on the DL, did you mean you plan to give up your TX DL, go to HI, and apply for HI DL instead?  You do know that the address on the DL cannot be out of state, right?