The TInker Support Thread

Maybe there could be a donation bucket at The Finish Line? Just a thought...

Not a good idea hon. This is very specific and short term.

Tinker you need to figure out how we get this to you. Send me your Dominican account please.

Thanks, Tinker, we might be there.  Where is the rendezvous?

Thanks Christie, but, no buckets anywhere, too much like I'm beseeching for money. She needs help, but freely given, no donation jars asking strangers for money. A good idea for other occasions. Thank you for thinking about the problem. Crazy about the hat!

Tinker tell us how to get the $$ to you so you can help this young lady!!!

You all are very kind to help Nielsa & in return it really helps me also. Two ways to send it.  One is by EPS, the shipping, courier service. Takes about a week, no problem.  W.U. is OK too.  How long do I have to pick it up?  I don't know how long they would hold.  Tell me which is best for you all & I'll give you the info required.  Nielsa is excited that she will be able to be legal.  I hope to see many of the expats possible on the 20th. in the Sosua Meet-Up. If the immigration hasn't picked her up again, she will be there too.   Anyone know if BobK is on island? He hasn't been posting lately.   Thank you's are bubbling out of my mouth as if it were full of Chrystal!!

I once again must say that I'm sorry for thinking that the future of this ecomy is based on an an awareness of monopolizing trade agreements.  Look at how the public debt service is viewed.  It isn't.  Walmart & many of the big box stores derive their inventory from China. Soooo. why should China continue to ship products through Miami when their margin is so much greater when drop=shipping?  Not today, but it is coming soon.  Even Ikea is starting to lose market share.  Face it, tis the way of mega- corporations.  This is not a political observation or opinion, it is just the way of the future. Soon the shipping companies will be subsideraries of The China conglomerates. Under different names of course.  Look at the big pharms. How many names do they operate under. Me? I'm old & won't be around to watch the demise of independence.  I don't complain, we get what we allow to be.  I would welcome a debate on these thoughts, however, you need some sort of foundation to reply.    Cast your chicken bones, it has the same ability to forecast the future as my ramblings.  Please remember my typos are caused by being blind, not by dementia!!!...........

I  have been asked by Tinker to post an update:

Sadly his vision has gotten significantly  worse. He is unable to read the forums or respond. Emails and text messages are really difficult as well.

In fact he has issues even answering his phone. IF you try to call him  he may not get to it in time, please wait a few seconds and try again!

I think I speak for all of us in saying he is missed here!

It is very sad to hear that. His presance and humer will be greatly missed.

We will all miss his posts and his constant support of the expat community!

I will miss his humour and wisdom on this forum. His sometimes snarky and inappropriate comments are a part of his essence, and make him unique. He speaks his mind and shares his past in a way that can and has helped others, including me.  At least I can still meet him in person at Plan B in Sosua most afternoons.

There are some great free screen readers that would allow him to continue to follow the forums.  Windows Eye Screen Reader and NVDA are both free and will read out websites for you. I'm currently using both to test a website we're building to ensure it's ADA compliant.

Is there anything you can do for him? I found one too and helped him down load it. It helped a bit but soon was unuseful. I think he needs something with voice as well. Thanks

He needs voice as well.  And it needs to be dead simple S he is technologically challenged.  His computer is not great quality either is my understanding.

I know many are willing to help in some manner. Some of you folks are very wise regarding computers etc. Perhaps, if folks are interested, someone might identify products that can/will assist our friend in maintaining some form of contact via technology. If there is anything out there and once we know the cost, perhaps we may be able to coordinate raising the funds......tis a bit of work and perhaps a long shot -  just my thoughts.

We already did this several months ago.  There was a discussion and John researched software. If I remember correctly, the issue is his computer.

Ah, I do recall some of that but don't recall anything solid being presented. If the computer is a biggie, perhaps we could do something for that as long as there is/are additional software etc to enable continued contact. I have heard of things where the visually impaired can speak and the program types it out but I have no idea of where such stuff can be found. I will try to ask a couple of places....

I'm not sure who or how many folks still check this thread out but I will enter these comments here. My wife and I spent the this past weekend (March 8 through to the morning of the 11th in Sosua. On Friday the 8th, we went first to The Finish Line, spoke with Mike, had a drink then drove over to Plan B where I was happy to learn Doug now owns (he still is in a legal battle over his former ownership of I think CHeers). He gave us directions to Tinkers place so we walked over. We spent an hour or so with TInker and hoped he would join Josefina and I on Saturday for dinner and drinks. His recent two falls has left him with a right shoulder that is slow in healing and still much pain. He has a different lady who cares for him but she can't read, write, or apparently cook. Tamas's recovery is likely slower as he is not eating real well and getting the nutrition his body needs. He tried decenting the first six steps  from his 2nd story apartment but the pain in his shoulder was too much therefore he was not able to come out on Sat. We did go to the supermercado on buy some requested items for him on Saturday. IF anyone is in the area, visits are most welcome. Doug, owner of Plan B, resides next door but is moving shortly about a mile away. His helper assists him with many things and if you go be prepared as he only wears his underwear around the apartment right now. Getting him better groceries is important. My wife, who is Dominican, seemed to get along well with his helper but not sure if she was able to communicate much due to her own hearing and speech limitations, but our impression was that see was trying her best but doesn't fully understand the needs of Tamas - such as putting things back exactly where he puts things. His sight has certainly deteriorated. He can see shapes but can't see to answer his phone so calling him is of no use. We was more upbeat and certainly enjoyed us visiting so if you are in the area, drop over and see him.

Thank you for the update!  Anyone who is in the area,  Please visit if you get the chance.

Any updates on how Tinker is doing?

Not heard anything lately!

I have had a few messages via WhatsApp from Tinker, and he doesn't leave his house at all any more.  He's not able to see at all, so he prefers to stay at home. It has been a few weeks since I've heard from him, but that's the last I know.

Thanks for the update.

Thanks!  Anyone near him care to pop in to see him?