Confused with the 90-180 days tourist visa

Hi everyone! I hope someone can shed some light here.

So i arrived in brazil 6th of June and left on the 13th of July. my 180th day in Brazil would be on the 3rd of December. some other websites said that you have to leave the country for another 180-185 days after the 2nd extension. does that mean I can't go back to Brazil in December or January? and that I have to wait til 7th of June 2019???

What's going to happen if I fly to Brazil in January? Do you think the immigration officer will let me in? I plan to go back to Brazil in 5-6 months but I don't think I will be able to.....? this sucks.

Kattie,

It is confusing!  There's a system to it, though,  so you can figure it out.  What follows assumes that you have a multiple-entry visa, that on the line "No. de Entradas/No. of Entries" it says "Múltiplas".  If it says "Uma", you've used it up and need a new visa.
A Filipino citizen can remain in Brazil a maximum of 180 days in each continuous 365 days.  Your 365 day measurement period started on June 6, 2018, and you left on July 13, using up 38 of your 180 days (your arrival and departure days are both counted.)  Therefore, between now and June 6, 2019, you can legally spend another 142 days in Brazil, in one trip or multiple trips, your choice. 
On June 6, 2019, your "timer" sets back to zero, and you get another 180 days.

that's the thing. i wana stay longer. i wana stay longer than 180 days.

okay so when i go back to brazil, say, December 28, I have 142 days. Right?

But I have to stay OUT of Brazil (for 180-185 days) after I consumed the 142 days. GEEZ that sucks. I guess my last option would be marrying a Brazilian hahahha

That's almosr correct:  after you stay your remaining 142 days, you need to leave Brazil, but only until your "clock" resets in June.

okay i think i understand now.

so I counted the days. let's say I arrived in Brazil on the 1st of February -- that is 126 (legal) days until 6th of June.

should I go to another country for 2-3 days so I can get a new 90 days visa stamp when I go back to Brazil?

That should work.  Just remember that your count needs to include your arrival and departure days.  Example:  arriving February 1, departing February 3 = three days.

ok thank you so much. i will come back to this thread when I have other questions ;)

Hi @abthree!

Above you wrote "between now and June 6, 2019, you can legally spend another 142 days in Brazil, in one trip or multiple trips, your choice."

In another forum I wrote " Stayed in Brazil for 38 days so I still have 52 days to spend in Brazil (+ another 90 days extension) until June 2019 (if I understand the tourist visa policy correctly)."

Someone replied with:
"When you leave Brazil, the days you did not spend here cannot be used in another visit. You will have 90 days again, and not 52 + 90. "

I am kinda confused.

kattie1120
You don't lose your days, if you have a multiple entry visa.  You receive your days in 90 day increments, however, so on your return, you'll have 90 days.  Before those days run out, you go to the Federal Police to renew, and they should renew you for the remaining days you have left of the 180 days you have available to use between June 6, 2018 and June 6, 2019.

Useful information @abthree - thanks

Can anyone who applies for the 90 day visa exstension at the FP usually get it? Do you know what documents or information they will require?

Also if I went to Brazil for 2 months and then went to the FP for a further 90 day extension (so I can stay longer on my next visit) would the extension be granted or would I need stay for the first 90 days before getting a further 90 day extension?

Thanks in advance,

Ikexplorer wrote:

Useful information @abthree - thanks

Can anyone who applies for the 90 day visa exstension at the FP usually get it? Do you know what documents or information they will require?

Also if I went to Brazil for 2 months and then went to the FP for a further 90 day extension (so I can stay longer on my next visit) would the extension be granted or would I need stay for the first 90 days before getting a further 90 day extension?

Thanks in advance,

If you're from a country whose citizens are allowed up to 180 days during each 365 (I believe that Britain is, by virtue of an individual agreement with Brazil), then yes.  Nothing more required, as far as I know, than your passport.  Citizens of most EU members are allowed 90 days in each 180;, that comes out to the same number of days in a year, but they can't get an extension to spend their 180 days consecutively.

Extensions apply to the current visit, and don't affect the next visit.  Look at it this way.  If you arrive in Brazil on January 1, you, as a Brit, have 180 days "in the bank", that you can use to stay in Brazil between then and the next January 1, in one visit or several, your choice.  It's granted in periods of up to 90 days each, so if you stay 90 continuous days, you need to extend with the Federal Police, but as long as you still have days in the "bank", you'll be ok.  If you leave having spent fewer than 90 days, the clock stops, and starts again when you return -- but you only need an extension if you stay longer than 90 continuous days on the next visit.  If you have fewer than 90 days left in the "bank", they'll only admit you for that number of days, and tell you so at Immigration.

On the next January first, or the next time you arrive in Brazil after that, if you come later, you lose any unused days from that first 180, and get another 180 days that you can use during the year after your new arrival.

abthree,

Thank you very much for you reply.

Just to clarify I am from the United Kingdom I have traveled to Brazil 3 times this year on the following dates:

Total 98 days.

- 7th February - 23rd February 2018
- 15th May - 31st May 2018
- 24th July - 25th September

Does this mean I still have another 82 days to use before 7th February 2019, before my new allowance renews again? is this correct?

According to the Brazilian Consulate in London, I have overstayed my 90 day allowance by 8 days and I cant return back to Brazil until my allowance renews on 7th February 2019 - from your experience is this information correct? I am very confused as to when I can return back to Brazil?

Ideally I would like to return back to Brazil in January, but I'm worried that I will not be allowed to re-enter until February 7th 2019.

your advice is greatly appreciated - Thank you

lkexplorer

I can't imagine why they're telling you that.  Here's the language directly from their website:

"b) Length of stay in Brazil

First granted period: up to 90 days.

Extensions (application in Brazil only): up to a further 90 days, adding up to a maximum of 180 days in any twelve-month period.

Those willing to extend their stay should apply for extension at the Brazilian Federal Police.

* Nationals of the following countries may remain in Brazil for a maximum period of 90 days (not extendable) per period of 180 days, from first entry: Albania, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominica, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Romania, Seychelles, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Ukraine."

If you're a UK citizen, and your visa allows multiple entries, I can't see how they could deny you re-entry.   But it's their country, and there may be a nuance I'm not seeing.