Any parents with British teenagers?

Hi

I have moved here with my 13 year old daughter to be joined by my husband in 3 months. My parents are Greek Cypriot but live in the UK.

I am staying in Oriklini at the moment soon to move closer to Larnaca town. I am in rented accommodation there until September 17th.

A few imminent needs.  My daughter is unhappy about being here and feels isolated and craving like minded teenage company! 

We have the task of finding a suitable English school -any parents out there with teenagers in English school? Amy feedback/advice greatly appreciated.

I need to keep Cam occupied until school starts and start to get her excited about her new potential life.  How do you excite a teenager?

thanks guys

Julie

Welcome to the Forum :)

I am sure she is missing her friends. But you have to turn to her and say look at the weather in Cyprus compared to the weather back in the UK. OK the UK is having a heatwave at the moment but that happens only every 30 years. ;)

But there is the internet so friends back at home are not that far away and could always possibly visit on holidays?

In time she will come round, and make new friends.

I lived in paphos with my little one from the age of 2.5 till 5-5 she was bored to death didn't have one friend it was a shame for her really the only thing that kept her interested was we had a pool even tho she was at school there people tend not to mix don't know why it can be very lonely if you don't make friends or have family surely you have Cypriot family we did but our mistake was they lived in larnaca us in paphos we drove there few times but they wouldn't drive that far if you have family there move as close as possible to them or you'll end up coming back plus it was hard to find work unless by pubs peak Cypriot and family help you good luck hope your child makes friends quick or it will have you upset very best of luck.

Hi just a follow up wondering how you and your family are getting on which area did you settle in we miss it there and are hoping to come back next year

Hey

very sweet of you.

Everything is great. Haven't found this forum much use to be honest. You need to get out and meet people. The world cup was a great opportunity. have meet a group of mums with teenagers in English schools and my daughter has already met girls who will be in her class at school and, been to parties!

Where about's are you from and, where do you intend to stay when you come?

Julie

Hello I'm back in Manchester but we lived in peyia Paphos for 3 years I'm coming back to Cyprus for 2 week's 27/9/18 till 10/10/18 going to try and do some more fact finding my daughter is 7 but 8 end of October I'm so glad you made friends for your child's sake were did you move to because if there's English children there it's something for me to look at and is it a state school or private school who knows maybe we could meet you and your family whilst we are there thanks for getting back InTouch tho and yeah your right I'm not sure many use these sites shame really.

Did my reply send

Sorry forgot to say we are staying at at friends in peyia who kindly has stored all our belongings

We would love to meet up with you guys when we come on holiday to discuss a few things my number is ***or *** a quick call or text would be great I'm interested as to what area you decided on and schools look forward to hearing from you

Moderated by Priscilla 5 years ago
Reason : do not post your personal contact details on the forum for your own security
Single parant wrote:

We would love to meet up with you guys when we come on holiday to discuss a few things my number is ********** or ********** a quick call or text would be great I'm interested as to what area you decided on and schools look forward to hearing from you

For your own safety and security please only exchange personal detail through the PM system and never on the Open Forum.

Hi,

We moved here last December, with 4 children. 14,11,4,5. They all go to the american academy in Larnaca which is excellent. Moving closer to town is a good idea as there is much more to do. There is a very good gym for girls and boys that age in Ariddpou behind Debenhams which do MMA classes for boys and girls which most of the children are from England or english speaking . The class is run by a guy called Mark who was originally from England also. (Mixed girls and boys) I take my son now it he really enjoys it. Anything else you need, Feel free to ask, I think I have got my head around it all now. By the way larnaca was a good choice. Its my favourite place in Cyprus by far.

Regards

George

@jhaydenbaker

Hi Julie, I know your post is a few years old now, but I am just wondering how things worked out for your teen? Did she find friends easily etc? Which school did you end up choosing? We are thinking of moving to Larnaca in a year or so and my son will then be 13… any advice welcome. Thank you