Adoption

We have been accepted to adopt a child by the Cypriot Social Services. Only to be told "you can find you child now" they do not do this for you? we have to find one, how? I asked. Ask around, your husbands family, friends etc, in Cyprus, and they do not know either. So I am on here to ask anyone if they know someone or themselves can not cope, and have difficulties in raising their child( preferably an infant) if you can help. It is all legal, and will involve the social services and courts in Cyprus, It is illegal to sell a child, so please do not think this way. We just want our own child, I have a loving relationship with my own Mother and Father, and just want the same. Please can someone help us. Thank you.

Obviously if you require authorization from Cyprus Social Services in order to adopt then once you do find a child you are going to have to go through legal channels to officially adopt him or her. You really should retain a reliable lawyer in Cyprus who is experienced in family law and adoptions.

You will also need to think about such things as the kind of visas that you and your husband will need to apply for (if necessary) in order to visit the country to personally select your child. How to obtain a passport and visa in order to bring your child into the UK.

Sounds to me like you've got a lot of ducks to get in a row yet, before you do anything else.

You need to know about Cyprus laws surrounding international adoption:

http://www.mlsi.gov.cy/mlsi/sws/sws.nsf … penElementhttp://www.mlsi.gov.cy/mlsi/sws/sws.nsf … penElement

From everything I've seen on the internet there are very few children available for adoption in Cyprus, and priority is always given to Cypriots.

Adoption, especially international adoption, is not something to be taken lightly. It is a very complex process often involving lawyers and social service authorities in both countries. If that in itself isn't daunting enough you may want to read the following article in the online version of the Cyprus Mail entitled Baby held after illegal adoption

Good luck with chasing your dream of becoming a mother, but really sounds like you need to do a lot more planning first and bring some people from the legal profession on board too, before you do anything else.

Thank you for your reply. We have actually been through all the legal requirements with the
Social services in Cyprus, it has taken 2 years to do that, we have been approved. We are also in The Hague convention, which is  adopting from other countries. However, many countries now for political reasons have stopped this. We are in a very long long line in Bulgaria, which every country you can think of is using them for adoption, we have been told this could take another 5 years.
My husband is cypriot. I am fully aware of illegal adoption, (selling children) which I pointed out that both my husband and I are against. The social services here, have told us to try and find a child ourselves, once they have accepted us, their job is done. But they did not tell us this at the beginning, so have put us both through a lot of stress for nothing. What are we supposed to do now. Put an advert in the paper! Go up to stranger and ask can we have their child? We will get arrested!  So now what? I did actually say to the social services, Is it because I am not Cypriot, and we do not know anyone in the social services, as we all know ,It is who you know, here.

I think that the logical next step is to find out if there are any orphanages in Cyprus, that would be the likely source of most legal adoptions. I'm surprised that Cyprus Social Services wouldn't even give you any kind of indication as to where to begin your search, obviously this would be in their best interest if their objective is really to see that homeless children find adoptive homes.

Either they're totally against international adoption in the first place or they really don't care what happens to homeless kids. I would suspect that it is the former and not the latter, nothing else would explain such a "hands-off" approach to adoption. I'm sure they are fully involved in every aspect of adoptions that take place by Cypriots in Cyprus, I highly doubt that they tell Cypriots just to go out and find a child.

Hi again,
Apparently there are no orphanages in Cyprus. So what are we supposed to do? That is why I am on here and other forums, to which I have had no replies. Only you, which I am grateful, but you see there is no help.
Cyprus has a lot of problems, regarding important issues. A big wad of cash gets you a lot of things, and who you know, as with it being a small island, everyone is related. Unfortunately, my husband does not have any connections with the social services. I feel very let down, all I want is to be a good, loving mother. The system here just will not let me. Thank you for taking the time to reply to me.

Susie 99, if there is a way, contact me xx

this thread is almost 6 years old....

@soullapoly :

As this thread is very old, i invite you to create a new thread in the Cyprus forum, to introduce yourself to the community and to ask your questions.
Members will be happy to help you.

Thanks,

Priscilla
Expat.com team  :cheers:

Hello

daphnetmckinney94,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f601.svg

Thank you for the input here.

I invite you to check more recent threads posted on the Cyrups forum to see if you can help these people.

Since you are new too, do not forget to tell us some words about your here > New members of the Cyprus forum, introduce yourselves here - 2023

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

@Susie99 I'm sorry to hear that the process of finding a child has been a bit of a struggle for you. Have you considered reaching out to [link under review] in Cyprus? They might have some leads or connections that could help you find the perfect match.
-@daphnetmckinney94
Also, have you tried posting on social media or online forums? It might seem a bit unconventional, but you never know who might see your post and be able to help you out. Just make sure to stay safe and only communicate with reputable sources.
I understand your desire to have a child of your own, and I hope that you're able to find the perfect match for your family soon. Good luck with your search, and keep us updated on how things go!
-@daphnetmckinney94

You are responding to an old thread from 2014

Closed