Best SSI retirement methods

I have apt in San Pedro de macros . start receiving SSI in August . need info on easiest way to do this an live here with no problems from ssi

Others are best able to help you on this honey

But welcome to the forums!

SSI is paid to you in almost every country in the world, direct deposit. In the past the only bank approved by theUS was Banco Popular. No charge for opening the account. Take the $$ in dollars as they give a very low exchange rate.  I don't know if they still are the bank. I stopped years ago & now have  the Gov. deposit to my US bank account. I write a check on that account and cash it with a local check cashing guy. I get full rate & pay only $3 of the top no matter the amount of check. It is an easier way for me. No muss, no fuss.  Much better than ATM charges, less hassle & cheaper.  Other expats will have other methods I'm sure.  Welcome & good luck.

Whats average cost of apartment in. San pedro.? Im on ssi as well, looking for low cost housing there. Can I live there comforyable on 1400 a month? Moose

Thanks a lot . I appreciate the response

Funny u mention 1400 a month that's what my SSI will be . I was here last winter an did ok but I didn't have the expense of a car.just a Moto .I pay 220 rent includes water trash sewer an secured parking.elect 20 internet 18 an cable 16.

Good info thanks!

Awesome info guys

It is possible to live on US$1,400 in San Pedro since rents are generally low in comparison to tourist areas. You may be able to find a good apartment for around US$400 which would leave US$1,000 for food and other living expenses.

Thanks , and yes my apartmento is $220.00 a month

With patiece & some contacts, a one furnished one bedroom apt with internet, wi-fi, water, trash etc, can be had for $300 per month. Poweruns 7 to 800 pesos a month. ( less than US $20) Quiet. close to markets, restaurants etc.  Many good deals to be had in this area, but, it will require you to beat feet & start net working with theexpats & locals. A few more bucks & more up scale places are available.  Never rush, Look, Listen and Learn is the best way to go. Welcome to this site & to this wonderful island. To stay on topic, you can live a full life on your SSI.  Maybe no Lambo, but an older Toyota will serve your needs just fine,

Excellent. It's increíble how much cheaper rents are when not living in a very large city or a tourist area.