Worried over Local contract of 660000 DKK/Annum in Copenhagen

Dear All,

I have been offered gross annual package of 660000 (before taxes) in Copenhagen. Package offered is Local contract.
Initially, I will be alone shifting to city. Later after 4-5 months I am planning to shift my family (wife) as well. My wife will not be working.

So, I am really worried about its being Local contract. So wanted to know,
1. if this is good package since it is a Local Contract. Local contract taxation is about 51% to 55%.
2. How I can transfer my taxation from Local to Expat. Expat taxation in Denmark is 32%.
3. What are the benefits of Local contract over Expat contract. And what are downsides as well.
4. By taking into account all expenses, how much I can save at the end of each month.
5. Where I can find inexpensive single room house/apartment...since I and my wife will be only staying. Budget is lower than 8000 DKK. I am ready to travel for an hour on one side.
6. Where in Copenhagen or around Indians stay mostly.

Thanks
Rohit

Regarding  the 32% tax , it is applicable if an expat earns a minimum  of 65k  DKK a month .But there are also certain other clauses required. You can check skat.dk or nyidenmark  for details.

Thanks Sanjsaha.

1)
Indeed, it's absolutely a good pay by Danish standards.

If we say that you settle in Gladsaxe municipality, you are married, your wife doesn't have a job, the tax will amount to 245,519 kroner a year.
(I don't know from where you have the percentages 51% to 55%? They are not correct in any way. In your case, the taxation percent will be 39 %).

2)
If you want to be taxated after the scheme for highly paid people, you have to earn somewhat more. Sanjhasa has already mentioned the 2018 amount (781,200 kroner)

3)
Taxation after this scheme is a brut taxation. Nothing more, nothing less. If you are taxated due to the normal (local) taxation, you'll be entitled to deduct negative interests (real estate expenses here or there), commuting expensives, contributions to union and unemployment insurance, and you can profit from a personal deduction before taxation as well as that of your wife's personal deduction (as long as she doesn't have a job of her own).

Therefore, your pay should be even higher that above mentioned 781,200 kroner before you'll profit from this scheme. It depends on the personal circumstances.

4)
By taking into account all expenses, how much I can save at the end of each month.

It depends ....................

5) You shalln't expect to find a cheap place. Housings aren't easy to find at all, and as people have signed up on waiting lists for years to be offered an apartment at a resonable price, newcomers (foreigners as well as domestic residents) have no chance there, but they'll have to rent an new/newer apartment which means that it'll be nice, but also relatively expensive.

It's not only a problem to find a cheap place, it may be a problem in itself to find a housing. Therefore, I always recommend expats to ask their company for help to find a suitable housing.

Expect to pay 10 - 12,000 kroner a month + utilies 2,000 kroner.

Don't exclusively look on the kilometer distance from job to home, as it deals more about the commuting circumstances.

6)
This must be a question for an Indian to answer. However, I can tell you that there are many Indians in the Copenhagen area and also several communities. No matter where you settle, I won't consider this a problem.

---

Do ask the company's HR department for help regarding your concerns and need. International companies meet the same enquiries every time they hire an expat, and they will be able to help you in a professional way.

I think this will do for the moment.

/Nellie

Thanks Nellie, much of the doubts cleared here. Yes, I will get in touch with HR folks.

Thanks
Rohit

Good luck with your decision.  Nellie has already mentioned every thing you need  to  know.
  However, finding an apartment with a budget  in Copenhagen  is quite a challenge and so I d advise you to get some relocation  assistance from your company or read up about housing here . There are many cases where you need to pay 5-7 months ( 3 months deposit + prepaid rent ) in advance to get an apartment. 

In case you are open to sharing an apartment with room mates ,  there are many Facebook groups you can check.

Best regards

Hi Sanjsaha, sorry me for delayed acknowledgement. I have a call next week with tax consultant. Now I have made up my mind to travel to Denmark. I will ask my HR to shift on expat taxation once I reached to the minimum salary (7,81,200 DKK) required for expat taxation.

Thank you very much.