Considering N. Shore for villa purchase-how to avoid the expat price?

Hi everyone, I am new as a member of the forum, but have found it helpful and wanted to be more active. My wife and already own s vacation rental property in the El Corticito/Bavaro area near Punta Cana. The condo is very nice 3 bedroom, 3.5 baths 2 story with two masters lots of balconies, a short walk to the beach and too many other amenities to mention. We love it.
So why the North Shore? We decided we want privacy and either an ocean view or a walk to the beach from a private villa with reliable power or back up sources. We cannot afford that in Punta Cana which actually has very reliable power and other services.
We have a trip scheduled for February and are renting a private villa in Perla Marina. We want to be able to check out the area and also look at real estate. We understand that Dominicans pay less than we would would pay for the same things, even real estate (not the only country that works this way). Can anyone here recommend someone that could help us get the lay of the area, check out different places as well as look at real estate? Someone said to stay away from the large real estate companies. However, we want someone reputable.
We are also looking for a good deal on safe, reliable transportation to and from the airport in Santiago. I have also read enough on this forum to be discouraged from renting a car on the North Shore although we have never had an issue in Punta Cana. So I would like more information on what would be the alternative so we have the freedom we need to go out to eat, go to grocery stores, etc.
Thank you in advance!

Hi & welcome to the forum & a big welcome to the Noth Shore. I can recommend a very straight shooter. Honest, with an excellent reputation during his 30 plus years here. He can do all that you ask & then some. He is known for his warmth & true interest in finding the best for people. He has many local connections to deal with the "Gringo Price". If you are interested in learning more, let me know & I'll relay to you how to contact him. He is a friend who has helped me over the years. A safe & reliable driver is also available. I will post it all when I dig up the drivers' card. Too late tonight to go looking or it.  There are many helpful people in the Sosua/Cabarete area. Driving here is hectic, but not a horror show. Only people with unhappy experiences post their stories.  Will post more in a day or two.

Welcome to the forums. I am glad it has been helpful for you.

It seems you know what you want which is awesome.  I will ask for a good Realtor in the area for you. I can recommend a great English speaking Lawyer Jesus Garcia Tallaj. [email protected] or 849-207-5550 he is also on whatsapp. He knows all the Realtors in the area as well.

Driver - can't help you there sorry.  Once you get the feel of the area you will probably be fine driving as you have driven here.

I am sure you will find a lot to like on the north coast.

Thank you Planner for the legal tip and I look forward to your info on Realtors.

Here are two Realtors,#1 Micheal McDermott  1-829-678-2975     #2  Rob Chenvert   1-809-571-1849     Driver:  Aneudy V, Martinez  # 1-809-923-1729   English speaking  Any further questions feel free to PM me so that we don't clog up the topic.  Good for you, you obviously use the "Three L's" in your life. Look, Listen, Learn.

My wife and I just returned from the DR after a 10 day stay in Cabrera on the North Coast.  We pre-arranged a tour package with a lady who is a local Real Estate Broker in Cabrera & rented a condo there through her & AirBnb.  Her name is Denise Bess with ReMax Realty & her website is droceanview.com.  She has an office in downtown Cabrera.  She's also affiliated with a tour service called DR Escapes that has many videos about real estate & life in the DR.

We would highly recommend her for touring the North Coast from Puerto Plata down south through the North Coast.  She provided transportation for us from the Puerto Plata airport to our Condo in Cabrera and back, set us up with taxi service to and from downtown Cabrera & guided us with an overnight stay in Santo Domingo to visit the colonial center there.  She made sure we were comfortable & had everything we needed as far as water, ice, groceries etc...  She took us on tours of properties in Cabarete, Sosua & Cabrera & was very respectful of what we wanted to do with our time.  She has a wealth of knowledge, is very friendly & it was truly a pleasure and our good fortune to have gotten to know her.

Thank you for your post.  So many times the posts are from unhappy people which conveys an unrealistic view of the DR. The happy people for some reason don't post about their positive reactions often enough. Honest, informative review is worth a resounding hooray & bravo's ! Thanks again. If I didn't live in Sosua, I would be in Cabrera.  Welcome to the N. Shore & the forum.

Great post thank you so much for positing this!  Its not often we get the great stuff!

My wife and I have bought 2 properties in Casa Linda. One to live in, one to rent out.  Although we wish they were closer to Sosua itself, our budget won't allow for that. Yet.  In the gated community, they have a free shuttle, but we have driven the North Coast previously without issue.  A few choice expletives, most definitely, but no issues.  So we are making the next perfectly sane move, and buying bicycles as our main method of transport when we move permanently this fall.  We have begun the immigration process, and we can't wait to make this dream a reality.  We used Maggie Van Damme at Century 21 in Sosua and are quite happy. I could see us becoming friends quite easily.  We met Tinker and Mike McDermott, and agree that he is a good choice, as well.  Great guys, and we will have to meet up again.
I have no idea how to avoid the expat price, they see me coming a mile away!  There's no hiding this amount of fat white guy!

Had a good time with you & looking for many more.  Mike can direct you to the places & people who give a fair shake to we whities & other gringos. I know a few myself. Except for the grocery stores you can negotiate prices. When I was in Fl. for medical procedures, I had an E-Bike.  A 20 mile range & could do 20 mph on the flat. It helped with an assist on the hills. It was a Curry, all American made, very well made. Excellent customer service. Large saddle bags that could carry almost a weeks worth of food & such. Not cheap, but well worth the price. Great exercise to lessen that fat white profile.  Keep  us informed of your adventures. Thanks & welcome to the N. Shore. You will be a fine addition to the expat community.

Reality is we can't hide that we are expats. We have to do our homework, understand the prices and do our best to mitigate Expat "tax" .

Prior to choosing your ideal home it will be advantageous to ask yourself the following questions:

1. Which neighborhoods are better?
2. Would it be better to live in an apartment or a house?
3. Is it furnished?
4. Does it have an invertor (back-up electricity)?
5. Is the home or apartment secure (difficult to break into)?
6. Will you need an AC or will a fan be sufficient?
7. How far is the nearest grocery store or restaurant?
8. How much does it cost to take a bus or taxi from and to Santo Domingo or the closest international airport?
9. What safe means of transportation are available? (In small cities the common means of transportation are moto-taxis.)
10. Which areas should I avoid?
11. Is it safe to walk at night?
12. Where is the closest ATM/ bank?
13. If renting first, how many months of security deposit are needed? (typically 2 + first month's rent in a one year lease)
14. What type of visa and/or residency do I need to remain legal in the Dominican Republic during my stays?

You may need a person or persons you can trust who speaks your language and is familiarized with the areas you are looking into.

All are the  normal questions to be answered by anyone looking to move anywhere in the world.  A reminder to be patient & not rush to make a decision on any aspect of the process. Look, listen & learn from as many sources as possible. YOU, choose which bus to take to your dream.  I wish you success on your journey.  Beware of "Another Roadside Attraction", of which there are many along the way.  John Gardner wrote the book.

I recommend

Joe Ciotti
CENTURY 21 Juan Perdomo
WhatsApp: ***

Remember, you are in charge of the offering price.  People have all kinds of reasons for selling and some may take a much lower price than the asking price.  It does not hurt to bid low.  All they can do is say no. 

Joe is very experienced, professional and his firm has real current listings.

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

My fading memory recalls the days when a "Villa" meant a Mediterrean (sp) style home,warm in style & details of an in-door -out door  sense of living. Not a housing complex of close built houses that remind one of Levitt Town  Homes after the 2nd World war.  Words have changed & lost the romance of expression.  There are a few developments that provide the grand essence of being a "Villa".  No need to be grandiose structures, but need a presence unto themselves to earn the name of Villa".  yes, I mourn the loss of language & the advent of people using only the digital way of comunication, negating the need to shave or shower.  Welcome to the N. Shore where you are sure to find the right home or you. I may not call it a villa, but most assuredly it will be your "Home".  By the way, I also hate "politically correct speech. It is the death knell of free speech.  I love the North Shore, you will also.

The best way to avoid the inflated gringo price is to simply not buy any place.  It's better to rent because so many of the people who buy, end up finding out they don't even like the house, or the neighbourhood, or the whole area anyway.  If you rent for a couple of years first, or forever, it's often better.

Thanks, we appreciate the advice!

Thanks for the recommendation. It is good to have choices to see where we can have the best fit.

Hi welcome.   I have a driver I use every time I come to the dr.   He is reliable and safe.   His name is obipo Bonilla.   ***  He takes me everywhere.    But bargain for prices.  Lol. I do.   I will be there June 23-30.  Meeting with Tomas for buying a restaurant bar.  And looking at places to live.

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Do you fly into Santiago or Puerto Plata? We are flying into Santiago in February

I am flying into Puerta Plata, this time.   I hope. Lol. I flew out of Santiago in April.   Flights weee full out of Puerta plsts.     But Santiago is like 1 hr away.   I work for an airline and if open seats I fly in and out of Santiago or Puerta Plata.

Damn speaker phone.  Sorry for the typos.

Do you have been picked up from Santiago, what is a reasonable price to pay?