Need help on Partner visa

Hello experts,

I need some help from you guys for my partner's resident visa.
Following is the underlying situation:

I applied for my skilled migrant residency in March 2016 and got it approved in January 2017. I was a bachelor when I applied in March 2016 but got married in November 2016. Naturally, my wife wasn't included in the application when it was submitted but according to immigration policies I should have informed them of my marriage which I forgot to. (I was quite busy with travelling outside of NZ for my marriage and only came back in NZ in January 2017. Was pretty caught up with so many things during then and so forgot to inform them of this change).
Since then, I've applied for and got approved the visitor and work visas for my wife till now. Recently, we've applied for her residency and the immigration has come back requesting me for a statement explaining why I didn't inform them of my marriage.
Though, I understand that my residency application wouldn't have been impacted coz of my marriage as my wife wasn't included in that application, how should I now respond to this question from immigration?
Do I need to be wary of any legal issues around this?

Expecting help from you guys soon.

Regards
Sunny

Welcome to the forum.

Unless you give them the information they have asked for then it will have a negative effect on you.
The authorities are looking to see that the marriage is a true marriage and not one of convenience to get your wife into the country and then she disappears.
They want to be convinced that it is a stable and lasting relationship.

Hey bud,
Thanks for your reply.
I understand that bit and am trying to provide the correct information to them.
I just needed help in trying to frame my reply.

Should I be wary of some other policies/legalities before I can put in a statement? Should I be simply stating my honest mistake or try to include any other assertions as well? For example: trying to state that I didn't have any wrong intentions in doing so but it was just certainly an honest mistake.
Can this impact the current application for my wife's residence?
We've already established the nature of our relationship to immigration few times and this time as well and we definitely satisfy the factor of enduring and stable relationship as well.

Just want to put in a statement that should not create any more unnecessary void in the future.
Hope you understand my concern. :)

Thanks
Sunny

Honesty is the best policy.