Private medical insurance

I am  planning to move to Portugal in 8 months and will require private medical insurance.  I will be 76. In Septenber and was advised I could not purchase private medical insurance..  I could purchase private insurance now but the policy has an annual payout limit of €2500.00.  Ant suggestions?  I can get public insurance but  have been advised this is not  a good solution.   

Thank you.   

Dan

Please have a read of THIS, Dan. 

You might find it useful.

Hi Dan,
I am over 70 as well. And I was denied private insurance. Must go to the public. I just have a kind of small insurance through AGEAS allowing small reimbursements.
The problem with the public (in Algarve where I live) is not the quality of care but the waiting time, unless it is an emergency. However, in Portugal there is a good system of small, local healthcare centers where you can get a little more than basic care. (Centro de Saude). There are a lot in the country even in small towns.
If you move to Portugal, you'll have to live with that. Personally, as a Frenchman, I can always travel to France and get appropriate care if needed.
Best
JP

Hi,

I am in the middle of considering a move to Portugal. I am 61 and would do it by 63. I heard that if one gets insurance by the age of 64, they would be able to continue purchasing "forever" but after 64, the coverage declines and the price goes up. Do you happen to know this?

Thank you

Larry

Hi Larry,
Please see my previous post. You cannot get a private insurance over 70. Below 70 like my wife who is 68, you can get a private insurance "forever". I guess coverage will remain the same; premium may go up like in any country, especially if you use healthcare a lot.
JP