Advice for American Relocating to Netherlands? - Finding Job

Hi there

I am 28 years old looking to relocate to Netherlands from USA. I have worked in the Netherlands before  short term so I know I like it. I don't speak Dutch yet. My experience is in 1 year accounting 4 years of credit analysis. I have bachelors of Accounting.

My only chances are starting my own business or getting a sponsor for the highly skilled migrant permit it looks like. Correct?
Questions:

1. I'm not having alot of luck in responses applying from US. The recruitment agencies tell me I need a work permit first. Would moving to the Netherlands on the tourist visa for 90 days to see if it betters my chances help? If I don't find something I can always come back home and try again.
2. Any advices for finding a job given my background/experience?

Thank you

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

You've discovered what is, in fact, the norm in Holland; that unless you have the desired shortage skill, it is difficult to get a job from outside the country.

Going to Holland as a tourist under the 90-day limit is a potential way to try and see what work is available, but won't get around the work permit issue you described, simply because you would need to return to the USA (or at least leave Holland) to apply for your work-permit; you can't apply from within Holland.  At the top of this page is our Handy Tools section; if you select that, you'll get access to our Expat Guides; these contain articles written to help you plan your journey.

I've written this elsewhere, but my experience of getting a decent job anywhere is that you need 4 things:

Relevant qualifications
Relevant experience
Speak the local language
Luck

The more of these you tick-off, the better your chance of getting a job.  Luck is always the great unknown.

For any customer-facing job, you will need to speak Dutch at a professional level.  The fact you don't speak it is limiting your marketplace to the multi-nationals who work in English, so perhaps you should try there first.

To be honest, I haven't heard of a shortage of people with your qualifications and experience, so you'll be up against the local candidate who perhaps ticks at least 3 of those boxes.

If you have any further specific questions once you've read our guides, please come back to us.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team