Anyone with a self-employed visa?

This seems to be the best call for me and I would like to read about other people's experiences with that.

I am a comic book artist and wouldn't be competing directly on the German job market since I get my offers from all over the world. In addition to that, I am also an art teacher and am considering the possibility of giving painting and comic book crafting classes over there.

As a freelancer, it is theoretically easier to get a visa since like you say; you are not necessarily taking someone's job. Also, as an artist one can claim that what they do is unique. But it is of course difficult for many to try to survive as a freelancer. Because of this, before giving permission, they are going to want documentation about what you do. If you can show you have lots of professional experience and your skills are demanded and profitable and can be done in Germany as well, then you should get a visa.

For beginners or someone wanting to try a new profession it is difficult. What they don't want is that foreigners come and don't manage to make enough to live from. As far as performing artists go, I think the initial visa is maximum 2 years and minimum 6 months. It then has to be renewed when it runs out. If one makes too little money then it won't get renewed. Even being successful is not a guarantee however of renewal or for how long. It is possible one is in Germany for some years and then instead of getting a long visa, they only get one for 6 months or not at all. The decisions will be made in a city office where you live in Germany.

Here is also a site in English with information about the process of getting a freelance visa (lots of such information online if one just Googles it):
https://www.sympat.me/steps-getting-fre … t-germany/

Most importantly here is the official German Government site with the requirements for all visa types. The link is to the English version page but they have many other languages including Portuguese:

http://www.make-it-in-germany.com/en/fo … employment

Artists are also required to join something called the Künstlersozialkasse. They will also ask for documentation to see that are really are some kind of artist or writer. Basically, one them pays a bit over 15% of their income as an artist to this organization. They then match the amount you put in and pay your public health insurance, insurance for care if you become handicapped and a retirement fund. There are a lot of details one should be aware of in connection with this - but it is a great system. I am posting a link to a site but it is only in German but maybe google or some other program can translate it for you if your German isn't good enough.

http://www.kuenstlersozialkasse.de/

Valuable resources, thank you very much! I particularly didn't knew that artists had something akin to an union there - here in Brazil we got squat.

PLoupee wrote:

Valuable resources, thank you very much!

It's appreciated by the people who give advice here if you then use these links to find out most information. If you have additional questions, then it is OK, but please try to first look through the Expat site to see if it hasn't already been answered on other threads. It is a big effort to answer the same questions over and over again. A lot of times I can best help someone by posting links I find at Google – which begs the question why people can't Google it themselves. Anyway, I am a freelancer myself but I had a different situation to get my first visa because I married a German. But I have experience being a self-employed performing artist and know others who have done the same without being married.

Thank you for the tips, but while I have googled a lot of my doubts, I opened the topic to hear about people's experiences, most of all - those Google doesn't provide as clearly. You gave me a big pointer that my research did not find that is the union thing, for example.

Anywho, thanks again!

PLoupee wrote:

Valuable resources, thank you very much! I particularly didn't knew that artists had something akin to an union there - here in Brazil we got squat.

The Künstlersozialkasse or KSK is not really a union. It is something set up by the government to help artists and writers.  There are also special protections for freedom of expression in the German constitution for artists. This was a result of fascism since artists were seen as giving essential feedback and criticism of the government and society. And since self-employed artists have no employer to provide benefits like health insurance and matching retirement contributions, the government does it through the KSK. Note that although all Germans are required to have health insurance it is NOT free. But the KSK matches the contributions so it is cheaper for artists. And the public option insurance is based on income so the more one makes the more one pays – but everyone can afford it. Whether one makes enough to pay rent in big Germany cities these days is another subject…

TominStuttgart wrote:

The Künstlersozialkasse or KSK is not really a union. It is something set up by the government to help artists and writers.  There are also special protections for freedom of expression in the German constitution for artists. This was a result of fascism since artists were seen as giving essential feedback and criticism of the government and society. And since self-employed artists have no employer to provide benefits like health insurance and matching retirement contributions, the government does it through the KSK. Note that although all Germans are required to have health insurance it is NOT free. But the KSK matches the contributions so it is cheaper for artists. And the public option insurance is based on income so the more one makes the more one pays – but everyone can afford it. Whether one makes enough to pay rent in big Germany cities these days is another subject…

I'm aware of the costs and totally understand. Still a better situation than Brazil where artist were tortured during dictatorship and nothing has been done - we actually lost our Ministry of Culture that was the closest to a support that we had, and since we're on the verge of another coup d'etat, all I want is out.

For now I am trying to connect with other comic book artists in Germany and refining my language skills along the process. Thank you very much for all of your support, Tomin!