Shipping / Importing a single large item (39 lbs) to Guayaquil

So it looks like I will be relocating to Ecuador in fall 2018. I'm currently in Guayaquil for the second time, each time I've stayed for about a month.

I've done quite a bit of shopping at MegaKywi, mi Comisariato, the malls, etc. Ecuador seems to have almost everything I'll want or need

But... one item I can't find a decent local equivalent is a classic Weber 22" kettle grill.  None of the grills I found when shopping here have the correct vents for airflow. I'm a serious BBQ enthusiast!

I checked at the hardware stores and malls in Guayaquil and Samborondon. I looked around markets when I visited Cuenca.

I checked Mercado Libre -- not currently available in Ecuador or Peru. Colombia has them, but it would mean quite a long trip to pick it up at double the US price-- and still probably having to pay the tariffs when crossing the border back into Ecuador.
Amazon Global doesn't ship the Weber grills here

The package weight is 39 pounds

What company do you recommend for shipping this? DHL? FedEX? UPS? A local freight fowarder? Who?

I'm prepared to pay the tariffs and taxes.

LAARBOX looks like a great freight forwarder who seems like they can do it way cheaper than going through FedEx or DHL. I've also found other BBQ grills on mercado libre that I may consider instead, because I put in the right keywords (asador, not parilla)

Courier services are very expensive, if you ship from the States to Ecuador maybe the freight is good but once the item gets to Ecuador has to pass through customs  and pay taxes. Not worth it.

Laarbox, is another courier service and usually is a broker for other international courier companies.

Maybe share a container is the best way to deal with this, so maybe you can find someone shipping a container over here willing to get your BBQ here.

Vicente

Thanks for the suggestion Vinny!  :)

To add to Vicente's suggestion for Laarbox...

Laarbox is part of Laar Courier which is partnered with TransExpress.com in Miami.  TransExpress handles the shipments at the US end and Laar handles it after it arrives in Ecuador.  They typically do the forwarding for USA online shopping, but do larger, heavier freight as well.  Their rates are probably the best you will find and even better, they handle all the customs problems and will deliver to your door.

Charlie B.

Charlie--I have an expensive Persian carpet in Los Angeles--9x6--about 70LB or more-

I am here in Quito on a pensioner visa--the company you mentioned will be a good idea to ship==?

Do you know if the duty might be hefty--Thanks

Dodd S

Dodd Sheikh wrote:

Charlie--I have an expensive Persian carpet in Los Angeles--9x6--about 70LB or more-

I am here in Quito on a pensioner visa--the company you mentioned will be a good idea to ship==?

Do you know if the duty might be hefty--Thanks

Dodd S

Dodd, they have a handy estimator on their website which may be helpful, but it's best to contact TransExpress.com to get a quote.  Register for free and call them.

Thanks for your kind response---I will do just that==Few of us  American expats in Quito meet for lunch if you live around Quito--once a week--

Dodd