Need for AWD?

Hello everyone. My wife and I just moved to PR this past week, and are in the process of getting settled. We are looking to purchase a Honda CRV, and surprisingly to us, the dealerships don't have any AWD in stock. We were told by the salespeople that AWD is not that popular here and that 2WD is really all we need. Has this been your experience in PR as well?

We like to explore the island, and while we don't go looking for off-roading experiences every other week, we would like to be able to check out some of the more remote places on the island. Perhaps a better way to go is to just rent a 4x4 for those excursions?

Any thoughts and / or comments would be appreciated.

People do prefer SUVs because of their more durable suspensions (needed to keep the car going year after year in light of PR's terribly potholed roads). That said, the drive doesn't need to be four wheel, really. Never hurts but it isn't really needed in PR.

Jeep clubs are very popular. You'll see them travelling around in caravans on the weekends. Unsure how much off-roading is available, though, as basically every inch of land is owned one way or another. Perhaps another forum member could enlighten us. I'd like to know what's available too if I ever visit the island again (I'm sick and tired of the crazy crime rate - too old for that now versus when I was young and in love with the place, and all of LatAm, regardless).

For Switzerland, I have a four wheel SUV and a four wheel sedan due to the snow. I've only been able to off-road twice in the SUV: Once in northern Italy and once in the Tyrol (Austria). Wish I could do more!

If you are looking to explore,  i would for sure seek something that at least has an option to switch to 4x4.  You never know when a heavy rain may come and if you are in a place w/o a paved road  it could  muddy up quickly.