How to deal with stress when moving to Romania

Moving abroad is no easy feat. Everyone has their own ways of dealing with stress, so we invite you to share some insights regarding this topic.

What are the main factors that contribute to stress when moving to Romania (cultural adaptation, moving with family, administrative and bureaucratic issues, language differences, etc.)?

What activities would you recommend to help deal with this type of stress?

What are some techniques that have helped you deal with stress?

Is there a way to avoid being stressed out or anxious when moving to Romania?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

I am an american here in Bucharest and the biggest challenge is language...you just MUST LEARN Romanian. It is just not natural for an american because you have to relax your jaw and speak from the throat.

Bureaucratic issues can always be overcome, with enough Lei, of course.  The '"officials" are so corrupt and anything is fixable.

You must always talk to people, as best you can, and accept that this is Romania and be very observant and do the things that natives do.  Take the bus.  Go to the small markets to buy bread and food. Participate in the national holidays......like Woman's Days......just buy flowers and a small gift for whoever you can.  I do not have anybody special here but I gave flowers to several women on the street and a small gift, and their eyes light up with appreciation.

That is how you deal with stress...you must be kind and respect Romania.  Help the people on the street and smile to strangers.  And you will be rewarded with a sense of peace ;)

Thank you for listening,

Christian G Jachim