Temporary residency income documentation question

Aloha everyone:

I'm a Hawaiian planning to move to Puerto Escondido next year (I'm doing due diligence this year). I have not been able to find a specific answer to my issue and hope someone here can help point me in the right direction. I work online for a US company and will continue to do so in Mexico. I've seen information saying I will need a letter from my employer to obtain a visa, but they only mention 'invitation' letters which appear to mean letters from companies in Mexico? Bottom line, I hope to qualify for temporary residency without a letter from my employer, is this possible? Thanks in advance for any help.

I think you can qualify just based on a proof of income and not employment in Mexico.  If you look at the Mexican consulate www site it should spell it all out.  Plus, keep in mind you apply in Hawaii so I have heard different consulates will sometimes give you different answers.  I would just make a stop in and talk with somebody.

contact your consulate in Hawaii. They have all the rules

Thanks, I'll try the telephono since the consulate is on Oahu and I'm not. I appreciate the advice.

Stoked wrote:

Aloha everyone:

I'm a Hawaiian planning to move to Puerto Escondido next year (I'm doing due diligence this year). I have not been able to find a specific answer to my issue and hope someone here can help point me in the right direction. I work online for a US company and will continue to do so in Mexico. I've seen information saying I will need a letter from my employer to obtain a visa, but they only mention 'invitation' letters which appear to mean letters from companies in Mexico? Bottom line, I hope to qualify for temporary residency without a letter from my employer, is this possible? Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi Stoked,

Actually one of the best sources for your specific questions would be the Mexican console there in Hawaii. The counsel in your country will answer income needs and requirements questions. So give them a call. You will need them for the process of getting a resident visa.  www.consulate-info.com/consulate/23958/ … n-Honolulu

I have never heard of anyone needing a letter from their non Mexican employer for permission to move!  Confirm income yes but..... that can be done with past bank statements.  Unless you have a large amount of money banked away, you are only going to get a temporary (1-2 year) visa anyway.

Thanks for your help, that is good to know. I still need to contact the consulate but haven't even gotten my passport yet.

I am going through the same process.  To my understanding each consulate has different requirements. If you email or call your Mexican Consulate General's Office they will provide you a list of requirements for Visa Residente Temporal and/or Visa Residente Permanente. Good luck!

That is very true, they all seem to "interpret" the requirements differently!
Probably due to lack of communication with Mexico City, plus the fact that
they revised them just a few years ago.

I gave been in Mexico a fill 4 1/2  years.  In Nov I qualify to be a Mexican Citizen if I choose to do so.  I applied for a PERMANENT VISA INITIALLY AND MY REQUEST WAS ACCEPTED.   Request a permanent residency initially.  If you don't qualify then go for the temporary visa. If you are going to own your home or if you own in Hawaii you have assets.  You just may qualify.  Permanent is a better option.  Go for it! Good Luck.

Okay I emailed the Mexican consulate in Honolulu, hopefully they will reply sooner rather than later. Thanks for the information and advice!

My pleasure. It looks like you will have plenty of time to get your documents together. You'll have to get your birth and marriage certificates apostatized, as well as, any other professional  certifications.

I personally wouldn't wait for an email back.  You need to be more aggressive and call them.  You will learn to understand the Mexican business culture.  It's NEVER today, you always have to wait.  LOL  I paid for my car in CASH and it still took almost a month at a FORD Dealer.(bank to bank transfer).  You call and let them know you need to make an appointment of obtain a Permanent Visa.  Bring all you financial end of month statements, your passport and if you own a residence bring the deed.  Show you are financially stable.  That is generally what they are looking for. 
As for Bank to Bank transfers.  I suggest you have a CitiGroup bank account, this way you can transfer from CitiBank  to Banamex in Mexico  (CitiBanamex)  there is not $$$ transfer fees.  Just open an account in Banamex next time you get to Mexico.  Apply for a Credit Card at Banamex.  You need your passport to get the credit card and it take 3 months because you aren't a Mexican.   LOL   I hate this expression but it gets to the point.  Been there Done that.   Otherwise use Capital !.  They don't charge international fees for purchasing anything.     Good LUCK

I had all my documents notarized and apostatized.  When I went to apply for Citizenship they told me I needed to have all my document translated into Spanish at a local notary in the State I am living.  The apostle was worthless and well as having everything translated before I moved to Mexico.  The notary and apostle is a personal choice just to be on the safe side.  Here in Morelos it was worthless.  But yet again, every state may have different rules.  Again Good Luck.

Apostatized and Spanish translated US documents were required for us in the Yucatan State also.  Better to have them than need them.

My temp. residency was much easier than I thought. I had all the papers and all I needed was my U.S. passport and six months proof of income.

Which Consulate Office did you process your paperwork?

Hi to all our personal experience (July-September 2017).

Call the consulate for information = great service
Got certified copies from the bank (6 months period)
Got certified copies for investments (ie: 401K, Bonds, Etc) from bank/companies (12 months period)
Completed the visa form for Permanent residency with the required number of copies
Consulate organized an appointment 1 month prior to our departure they don't do it early in Canada (between 9AM and 1PM).
Got our birth and marriage certificates certified (thus being Canadian) by the consulate, transaltion has to be done by a certified translator from french to Spanish in our case. These were used for IMSS, INAPAM but not INM.
Consulate approved the request for permanent residency.
Got our passports with the visa glued in it and the 3 certified documents a few days after our initial visit (if you are far away from the consulate they might do it while you wait)
Cost at consulate was 240$CND (2 visas and 3 certification)
Time required in Mexico at INM for the residency cards (3 visits of less than 45 minutes got the cards within 14 days of 1st visit) so one payment of 4828$ pesos each for the official "tarjeta de residencia permanente"

Finally, it's an easy process and the best is get the permanent residency status if possible.

Adios y buena suerte en su proyecto, GyC.

Wow thanks for everyone's input and experiences, they are greatly appreciated. I got an email back from the Mexican consulate in Honolulu the next day, they forwarded my request to the San Francisco Consulate as they are the nearest location that processes visa requests. I didn't expect anything but the day after that I got an email from someone at the San Francisco consulate with an instruction form. I'll paste the instructions below, the problem is all they say is "written letter from the employer" so I still don't know specifically what they want nor why some people need this letter and others don't? I'm able to meet the "Pay stubs or bank statements disclosing a monthly income of $1,500.00 US dollars after taxes for the previous 6 months." requirement but really don't want to have to get my job/supervisor involved if I don't have to.

"REQUIREMENTS FOR TEMPORARY RESIDENCE IN MEXICO (VISA DE RESIDENTE TEMPORAL)
This status allows retirees who have a secured income to live as a temporary resident in Mexico. Under this category, applicants may NOT work in Mexico nor engage in a profitable activity.
1 step
Appointment is not required for this process. Applications are received in person Monday through Friday between 9:00AM to 1:00 pm.
1)    Visa application
2)    Valid passport (and copy of the first page)
3)    One color picture passport size, frontal view, no eyeglasses and white background.
4)    Original and a photocopy of the migratory document proving your legal migratory status in USA (I-797, I-20 advance parole, etc.), only for applicants who are not USA citizens.
5)    Proof of economic solvency original and copy:
a)    Written letter from the employer. Pay stubs or bank statements disclosing a monthly income of $1,500.00 US dollars after taxes for the previous 6 months. Or
b)    Original and Copy of Proof of investments or bank account with a balance of at least $25,000 US dollars during the previous 12 months."

So stoked,

I guess the question would be are you continuing with your current employer ? and are they transferring you to Mexico ? If your current employer is transferring you to Mexico , Mexico is interested, and would like some proof from the employer.

I also want to point out that some posts seem to be mixing residente permanente and becoming a citizen. They are not the same, and the procedure is not the same. Few apply to be a Mexican citizen because it does not provide many additional benefits, and is pretty labor and paperwork intense. It requires Spanish fluency like a native, and understanding of Mexican history  and written documents in Spanish . Or at least it did. Being able to vote here was not worth it for many of us, so we became residente permanente not citizens.

I would assume temporal or permanent would be your goal not citizen.

For permanent do I need to show a Mexican address or property ownership?  I have a contract showing we are purchasing a condo under construction, which won't be done for a year.

Of course they want to know where you will be living, but owning property is not a requirement plus the visas will not have your address on it.

I assume you are a U.S. citizen in possession of a current U.S. passport. (The length of time in one year increments for  a maximum of four years for the issuance of the MX Residente Temporal will depend on the expiration date of your passport when submitting  your application.) You have the discretion of applying  for a  1, 2, 3, or 4 year visa as long as your passport will be current for the designated period.

To apply: Contact, in person, a MX consulate or the embassy.  With your application bring evidence of any consistent income for a minimum of six months. (Bank statements are the easiest.) Essentially approximately  a minimum of 1500 USD a month should suffice.
NOTE: At the discretion of the consular officer interviewing you, they may allow you to apply for Residente Permanente if consistent income meets a certain arbitrary threshold. 

Keep in mind the consular officer is only giving permission to apply for your visa at a local INM after you arrive in MX.

If your internet business involves billing and receiving payments within MX you will have to conform to  MX commercial regulations.

Portland, OR

exact same requirements for Portland, OR