A Stranger in a Familiar Paradise

It's not necessarily the easiest thing to start your life all over again at 49. But the Dominican Republic and the love of my fiancée has made this move a beautiful adventure. I'm originally from the Bahamas although I spent some 35 years in the Washington DC area where I completed high school and college (the University of Maryland). I come with high hopes for my future in the DR because I see so many possible opportunities both in business and personally. I am the founder of In Deep Love Bahamas. An idea I had to marry the world's largest amount of couples simultaneously under the sea. Hurricane Matthew interfered with that attempt in the Bahamas and now I am considering bringing the entire concept to the DR. The location for such a wedding to be determined. Additionally, I am interested in employment where I can use my English, German, Marketing and Events Management skills fully. It's a great pleasure to be a part of this forum and I look forward to hearing from you!!!

Al

Greetings Bahamina

Welcome to the DR.

This is an interesting place to be, full of places that can fit your idea. or any other ventures alike.

Welcome

Thank you for the warm welcome. It's a great pleasure to be here!

Welcome to the forums!  Interesting idea. 

To open a business you only need your passport. To work in your business or work anywhere else you need residential and your.dominican I'D, cedula.  There is a thread about this, take a look.

We are here to help in any way we can!

Thank you, Planner. I will definitely read up. I look forward to chatting with you.

Welcome to both the forum & even more so to the island.  The under water wedding record idea is great.  It is however, a one time event.  I'm interested in what other events, activities you have in mind. What would be the basic on going business ?  The North shore is a treasure trove of locations, towns & most of all wonderful people.  Anticipating learning of your intentions. Innovative  ideas & people are indeed welcome.

Awesome post Al! Welcome to the "New chapter" club! :-)  Looking forward to hearing more about your endeavors!  I spent the majority of my life in Virginia and I can very much relate with D.C. life. I think things are about to change in an amazing day for you guys!

Sincerely,

Jeff

Not meaning to correct you, Tinker, by when I envisioned this idea, I did not see it as a one time event. The fact is this is a competition as much as it is a marketing and advertising feat. Competitions like the Olympics are repeat events. That said, destination weddings have become the thing to do around the world and for many reasons including cost. It's just simply less expensive to marry abroad for most who want to celebrate their marriage. The Dominican republic  is a true value and i believe would be irresistible to destination wedding  couples. A couple areas of interest i am working have to do with retreats and music. I'd love to discuss them with you at your convenience.

Yes, I read it wrong. I thought it was an attempt to break the Guinness world record.  Sort of along the lines of the Japanese & other mass weddings. I see now what you are getting at.  I like the idea of combining events with related functions.  Hooking up with other participants in the area brings even more to the experience the clients could enjoy. As you know, organization is a priority in such ventures   PM me at any time.  Lots of good info here from the members.   50 ft. cat for example.

Destination weddings are big business and have been for some time. It's a big market here!

I will certainly do that, Tinker!  There is another concept and its called multi-destination tourism.  Not sure if you've heard of it?  It combines multiple trips to different "Caribbean" countries in one single vacation.  I like the cooperation aspect f this relatively new think.  I envision weddings promoted in the DR with your honeymoon to take place say in the Bahamas.  I have myself abnb homes in the Bahamas and acquiring same here so that I can begin promoting this concept.

Are you involved in this area at all?

Interesting concept. The only multidestinatoon trips I have seen here involves multiple areas of this country.

Your challenge in this idea of multi countries may be direct flights. I am not positive as I have not looked into it.

Planner is right. Inter-island transportation is difficult and expensive. An associate of mine has extensive property in the Turks & Caicos. He flies there often, at least  once a month, costs $400 R/T from here. The small Caribbean airlines have been gobbled up by the majors. Gone are the days of cheap island hopping.  This island has several distinctly different areas.  From 10,000 ft. mountains, to arid, desert like to rain forests.  Surrounded by innumerable beaches.  There are helicopter services for transport & sightseeing. Sport fishing & diving etc.  Different price level packages can be offered etc.  Planner will inform you of the hoops required to do business here.  Again welcome & good fortune to you.  We shall meet for drinks & laughs one day soon.

I pray we do meet for drinks and laughs sometime soon. And who could disagree with your description of the DR? She will continue to grow by leaps and bounds as more people become aware of her majesty. That said, I see nothing mutually exclusive to my thoughts. While the DR possesses all those qualities its not the Bahamas, Cuba or Puerto Rico. I'm also thinking in terms of pan Caribbean Tourism. It's a relatively new idea that focuses on cooperation to drive the overall volume of business to the region where everyone benefits. Funny you should mention Turks and Caicos. I recently met the owner of an airline that services multi destinations in the Caribbean. I can safely say that his business model is multi destination travel within the Caribbean. That airline is doing well. Volume will bring down the cost. We must work to increase that along with knocking down other barriers to travel like immigration issues. It's a long term goal but you have to start somewhere.

You start with a great attitude and like minded people!

I like & agree with you ideas & vision. I regret that my vision handicap precludes my being of value to the future of your plans. I would have enjoyed the possibility of joining your operation at any level. However the Gods have, in their infinite wisdom, have relegated me to spend my last years in darkness.  An ignoble finis to my ego I fear.  I do think the impending drinks & humor will lift my spirits.  Now that is enough moaning & groaning for this month. I have a couple of contacts in the USVI government that may be of some value to the project.  Lots to think & talk about. Will PM with more.