Easter aka Semana Santa

Its time for our annual warning. Please be careful over the next  6 days.  This is a national holiday, probably the biggest of the year.

SO many people leave the big cities headed to the "campo", the beaches, the resorts, family homes and rivers.......   There will be  copious amounts of drinking going on.  The concept that this is a religious holiday is misleading.

Driving - you cannot trust anyone else on the road the next 6 days. Assume they are drunk. Assume they are in a big big hurry and  be defensive.  Do not drink and drive people.

Beaches - will be full regardless of the weather.  Lots of drinking at the beaches too.  FOR that reason no motorized sports  Thursday thru Monday morning. NONE.

Friday of Semana Santa is the only truly religious holiday here.  No loud music, no alcohol sales and no discos or any other dance clubs open  midnight Thursday to Midnight Friday.  That was issued by the gov't recently.

Santo Domingo -  closing the Malecon from Socorro Sanchez to  Maximo Gomez from Thursay evening until MOnday morning.  There are games, pools, volleyball etc etc for the kids. Big concert on  Sunday night to close the holiday with Mozart la Para. (whoever that is LOL)

Here is a link to the events in SD. https://dominicantoday.com/dr/local/201 … r-program/

BE SAFE PLEASE!

Great post to remind us of the "crazy" holiday

We will go food shopping tomorrow or Thursday morning and then not leave the house till Monday.  Not the time to be driving around.

BobK

Do everything as early in the day as possible, walk if possible.  It IS NOT LIKE Rio Carnival or Mardi Gras, not at all!  It can be fun in the daytime, but not at night. Scads of drunks do not make a grand party.  Hope you like Latin music, you certainly will be hearing a lot of it at high volume. I kinda like this crazy week.

And for me here in Santo Domingo it is a traffic free city this weekend. I will stay here and visit some of the places I avoid due to traffic and people.

I will walk the Conde in the Colonial Zone, go to the zoo and the Botanical Gardens and visit Ikea, not necessarily in that order.

And I,will work. My company is powerwashing and painting a large company parking garage. 

My vacation comes later.