Is a VISA and, or work permit needed to live in Malta?

Hello

I am a British citizen and have read up on the subject but i'm hearing different things everywhere I look. I'm just looking for an answer or a link to a official website or something if possible. I'm going to be flying out to Malta within the next couple of months to look for work and get a general idea of the price of living. But my main problem at the moment is just finding out if I need a visa and work permit to live and work in Malta.

Thanks for reading, any help at all would be appreciated.

Oliver (oggie6854)

Hi Oliver,

Welcome to the forum.

You do not need a visa to come to Malta and by the time you intend coming, you will not need a work permit either. You have to register with the employment agency (ETC) though.

You can stay for 3 months and then you have to apply for ordinary residency in Malta. There are certain categories and conditions.

Regards and good luck.
Ricky

Hi I am from philippines wish to go again in malta i was work before there but my visa or working permit was expired. BUt my maltese friend wants me to invite to come in malta it wil be possible? Thank you

Of course he can invite you to come to Malta. He should send you a cover letter with the invitation and guarantee for your visitors stay. But you will have to apply for a visitors visa in your country and many conditions apply like  return plane ticket, health insurance and enough money to cover your stay.

Regards
Ricky

Hi Sweetmalta,

For all other visitors from third-countries that require a visa here are the conditions and documentation:

This documentation, depending on the type of visa requested or which Malta's diplomatic mission deems it can issue, must necessarily state:
- the purpose of the visit
- means of transport and for the return journey
- means of subsistence (support) during the journey and stay
- accommodation arrangements

These supporting documents shall cover as follows:
- supporting documents regarding the purpose of the visit shall     
   mean, for example:
  - a letter of invitation
  - a summons
  - a certificate of enrolment
  - an organised trip
- supporting documents regarding means of transport and return
   shall mean, for example:
   - a valid return ticket or
   - a certificate of a reserved and prepaid journey
- supporting documents regarding means of subsistence
   The following may be accepted as proof of means of subsistence:
- cash in convertible currency
- traveller's cheques
- cheque books for a foreign currency account
- credit cards
- or any other means that guarantees funds in hard currency.
The level of means of subsistence shall be proportionate to the  length and purpose of the stay, and to the amount of € 48 per  day.

- supporting documents regarding accommodation
    The following documents inter alia may be accepted as proof of        accommodation:
   - hotel reservation or reservation for a similar establishment
   - documents proving the existence of a lease or a title deed, in       the applicant's name, to a property situated in the country to       be visited
   - where a third-country national states that he/she shall stay at       a person's home or in an institution, the applicant must       present a written declaration by the host which  vouches for      the host's commitment to accommodate.  The diplomatic       mission and consular posts will verify such declarations,       where such checks are necessary;
   - or by requiring that a certificate be presented which vouches      for the commitment to accommodate, in the form of a      harmonised form filled in by the host/institution and        stamped by the competent authority in  Malta, according to the     provisions laid down in its national legislation.

In addition, in support of an application for a short-term or travel visa,  applicants must show that they are in possession of adequate and valid  individual or group Travel Medical Insurance to cover any expenses  which might arise in connection with repatriation for medical reasons,  urgent medical attention and/or emergency hospital treatment.  The  insurance must be valid throughout the Schengen Member States and  cover the entire period of the person's stay.  The minimum coverage is  of € 30,000.

Any cases of forged documents produced by foreign nationals for the  purposes of obtaining an entry visa shall always been reported to  Malta's Immigration Police by Malta's diplomatic mission or consular  post.  This applies both to the forgery of Maltese documents and  documents of foreign origin that are in any way used in support of a  visa application.

Once the visa application is approved on the basis of the  documentation, produced by the applicant, and the results of an  interview, if required and which is normally conducted directly and  personally, the diplomatic mission will carry out all statutory preliminary checks to consult lists of third-country nationals to be refused admission into the Schengen area.

This info is from the website of the Foreign Office of Malta.

Regards
Ricky

if i open a cafe or shop in sliema what will i do ? i m turkish .could anyone tell and give me info about it . thanks.

Hi oktaydemr,

welcome to the forum.

Your enterprise is too complicated to give a simple answer here on the forum. It will probably be cost-intensive and quite difficult!

You should contact an immigration/business lawyer for advice on setting up your own business in Malta as a third-country national.

You should also consider the economic environment here in Malta where shops open and close on a regular basis.

Regards
Ricky

thanks ricky for your answer. i m searching it . what will be the difficulties ?

Hi,

you are a third -country national and need a work permit to work in the EU :

http://etc.gov.mt/etc-portal/page/3/ELU … s.aspx#3.1

Check out the section about being self-employed. You would have to invest at least 100.000 € in your Maltese business or commit yourself to employ 3 EEA/Maltese within 18 months if you are a highly skilled innovator with a sound business plan.

You should really get professional advice!

Cheers
Ricky

hi,
what about if i buy a house over there? does this can help me getting a long period visa?
please advice :)

Hi SlovesH,

the answer is no.

You should check out the residency requirements.

Cheers
Ricky

Hello everyone,

I have read lots about it and I got confused. So my question is as simple as that: Do EU citizens need work permit or invitation from employer to work in Malta?

Thank you in advance!!

no work permit required for EU passport holders.

there is no work permit required. I am from EU country and I work here without it!

Hello
one question please: i'm from third-countries,is it possible to get  work permit and to continue Visa with  my  shengen turist Visa  in malta?

Hi Tati,

welcome to the forum.

No, you cannot get a work permit on a Schengen tourist visa.

Check out the visa section and the work section for information about how to get a work permit in Malta.

Cheers
Ricky

Thank You Ricky.

anetka wrote:

there is no work permit required. I am from EU country and I work here without it!

cAbsolutely, but of course you do need a residency certificate, which is easy to get if you have a job

Hello, myself and my daughter want to move to Malta no later then the end of May this yr,we will rent a apartment,is it easy to find a long term full time job in the hotel trade/restaurant and will we need to get a visa or anything else to live and work there??

If you are an EU passport holder the answer is a simple NO....all you will need to apply for is an e-Residency permit after 90 days.

Thank you. also what is the avarage hourly rate for work in hotel/restaurant? and what is the national health service like??

4-4.50e per hr maybe lucky and get 5 but not much more - the local healthcare is very good.

So a avarage wage in the hotel/bar trade would be around 200 euros a wk?

It's normally hourly pay, so depends how many hours a week you work

Hi melaina,

the minimum wage, which could also be considered standard wage for work in the catering industry, is about 680€/month, so 800€/ month is not bad.

If you work as a restaurant manager or in a higher hotel position you will earn a lot more though but the jobs might be hard to get unless you are very experienced and qualified.

Large hotels are starting to hire their summer staff now!

The national health service is not bad but you have to make sure that you are registered and pay NI contributions , otherwise you are not covered.

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks Ricky, how do we pay our national insurance will the employer take it out or do we do it ourselfs, that wage is very low compared to what i get now i am assistant manager in England but didt really want to go back into managers job too much stess! is there any other better paid jobs unskilled jobs in Malta? im not looking for a summer job i want a long term job as i will be living in Malta ?

as long as your employment is "on the books" then the employer deducts it at source.. wages are very low here and nowhere near UK rates that is one of the things that you have to realise and basically get used to.

One piece of advice make sure you have enough cash to survive for at least 3-6months.... as it can take that long to secure long term full time employment.

the hours are long and the wages low.

ok thanks i hope il get a job! want to leave the stress of England and just have a more happy and chilled out life,better weather and happy people..

Hi melaina,

I don't think you will find any other better paid unskilled work as the pressure on that end of the job market with workers from new EU countries who are used to even lower wages and often work off the books is increasing.

I was just reading that Arriva Malta is searching for bus drivers in Spain and the UK. But the salary offered is 250€/week- not really that much.

As toon says it can prove difficult to secure long-term employment so it needs patience and some reserves to be on the safe side. Tourism is a seasonal business as well so you have to take into consideration that tourism business is slower next winter.

You could also look at work outside of the tourism industry!

Cheers
Ricky

Thank you your most helpfull, 1more question what other jobs outside tourist trade would be good for me to look at? somthing that will carry on in the winter too i need

Hi melaina,

have you thought about english speaking call centres?

HSBC for example. They pay quite well.

Other options depend on your qualifications and work experience.

Cheers
Ricky

thank you have been a great help.I may look into HSBC call centre!

hi
Im from Turkey. I have a working license for malta ships. may I and my wife stay in malta with this license? Is there any procedure for it?
many thanks for your help....

Hi Taoufik,

welcome to the forum.

This is an English speaking forum so please repost your question in English.

Thanks
Ricky

Hi ozi,

I just saw your question. I must have missed it a few weeks ago and I'm not sure if it is still relevant.

You should ask your shipping company about the kind of work permit you have and whether it covers you to work and stay in Malta.

Normally you will require a visa to enter Malta and a work permit for Malta.

Cheers
Ricky

HI,
PLS SOMEONE CAN HELP ME, MALTA TOURIST VISA CAN BEE EXTEND DURING STAY IN MALTA IF VISA IS GOING TO EXPIRE
SHAHID

Hi Shahid,

no, it can't be extended!

What reason would you have for it to be extended? That is what you would have to convince Immigration of . Are you still a tourist ? If not your visa is not valid anymore anyway!

Cheers
Ricky

I'll be retiring from the British Merchant Navy in a couple of years and would like to settle in Valetta with my partner and run a bar. 
We're both British Citizens and I don't think there would be any issues for work visas, but there may be some problems with owning a business in Malta.  Any thoughts..??

no more problems than for a Maltese citizen

I am an Australian living in Dublin at the moment last 6 mths and have a job prospect in Malta is it possible to get a work permit for 6 mths