Cooking like a local in France

Hello,

Enjoying the local food of your expat country is great, but learning to cook the dishes yourself is even better. Please share what it's like cooking like a local in France.

What are some of the most popular local dishes that are easy to prepare?

What are the most common ingredients used in dishes in France? Where can you purchase them?

Is there a specific technique or a secret ingredient to master the local cuisine?

Are there resources available to teach you to cook like a local (classes, websites, etc.)?

What are the advantages of learning to prepare local dishes in France?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

I live in the South.
In my kitchen - always - are cold-pressed virgin olive oil, big purple garlics, shallots, red and green poivrons [bell peppers; capsicums], courgettes, aubergines, tomatoes and local herbs picked in the hills and hung up to dry.

Et voila, you have ratatouille, the most simple and delicious way to your five a day ever invented.

I cook holistically the past few years and I am always learning, I have just moved here two months ago so now I will introduce my learning style with the French style so I have yet to prepare I would like to try a Ratatoilie vegan version as I am a vegan but I can cook meat, chicken and fish too.

I am meeting really nice people so we are sharing lots of information, I always try and buy organic at food markets I live near Draveil so I shop there and sometimes in Paris.  I always buy with a budget this is easy to find when you know how to shop try Simply, Lidl, Carefour sometimes and food markets buy cheap and then get containers for your food to hold the food you prepare.  That is that easy the rhythm  will come in time I find sharing my resources with others this way we can learn together.

Warm Regards
Lynsey

Ratatouille is vegan through and through, have no fear  :)
There is no other version, although it's often served as an accompaniment to other dishes.

;)  Phew!  because there are so many meals I have to find alternatives it gets overwhelming, but fun too as I love to cook it connects to health, loving and caring for others and animals and social community.

Do not know where you came from, Nanny, but you'll find top-quality ingredients here in France, and a lot of organic [it's called 'bio'] produce.

France is one of the most particular places in the world when it comes to food quality.

Enjoy!  :)